No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 13

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:53 pm

I have only read "The Lord of the Rings", "The Hobbit", and "The Silmarillion". I think that "The Lord of the Rings" is Tolkien's best. This is not to say that I didn't immensely enjoy "The Hobbit" and "The Silmarillion". "The Hobbit" was the book that first introduced me to the fantasy genre of literature (and music?) and has a great story, as well as great immediate significance to "The Lord of the Rings". "The Silmarillion", on the other hand, has a good story and is immensly significant (though its significance is not immediately evident), but is a much harder read. I have read "The Silmarillion" twice and it was much clearer the second time but I am still forced to agree with Fred on this one. Although it has its grand, epic moments, the vast majority of it reads like my Modern European History AP textbook. Like Modern Euro, it is very interesting and sheds new light on things that I never even knew were dark, but it still cannot stand very well on its own for the vast majority of the novel-reading population. It loses some continuity in the fact that it was assembled from bits and pieces after Tolkien's death :( . However, it is a great companion to "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit".
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

Ned

Post by Ned » Sat May 03, 2003 9:37 am

Hope I'm not slaughtered for this, but I've only read the hobbit. Its really awesome though! I plan to read all the lord of the rings this summer.

Fingolfin
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Fingolfin » Sat May 03, 2003 10:16 pm

You'd better be careful then. This is balrog country. **bows** I'm Fingolfin, High King of the Noldor. Welcome to my realm, here in the Second Age of Middle Earth, in the little Silmarillion section of the forum.

And how did your travels bring you here? :eyebrow:
Fingolfin beheld the ruin of the Noldor. Filled with wrath and despair he rode forth alone. A madness of rage was upon him; his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.
He came alone to Angband and challenged Morgoth to single combat.

And Morgoth came.

Ned

Post by Ned » Sun May 04, 2003 10:50 am

Me? The magic west winds bring me here, and the mystic horse of Karkiniaet!

Err, that was just stupid. Crap. :twisted:

Fingolfin
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Fingolfin » Mon May 05, 2003 8:52 pm

lol. well, have a cup of mead anyway, mellon nin. Cookies for trying ;)

:eyebrow:
Fingolfin beheld the ruin of the Noldor. Filled with wrath and despair he rode forth alone. A madness of rage was upon him; his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.
He came alone to Angband and challenged Morgoth to single combat.

And Morgoth came.

Elvving

I've read it, whee!

Post by Elvving » Fri May 09, 2003 12:40 pm

I've read te Hobbit, LoTR trilogy, and the Silmarillion, and must say that the Silmarillion was my favorite of the Middle Earth books. It was like Edith Hamilton's mythology for Elves and Arda!
Did anyone else read it with the Unfinished Tales simultaneously, like a companion? It really helps the story to flow.
Anyway...loved it! Favorite Elf - Elwing.And the tales of Beren and Luthien were so wonderful! What made it great was the heroism of both Beren and Luthien. It really made her greater than just her beauty, don't you all think?
I've said my peace for now.
:D
~ Oh my heart finds love true
I'll end my quest for you.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: I've read it, whee!

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri May 09, 2003 6:11 pm

Elvving wrote:Favorite Elf - Elwing.And the tales of Beren and Luthien were so wonderful! What made it great was the heroism of both Beren and Luthien. It really made her greater than just her beauty, don't you all think?
I've said my peace for now.
~ Oh my heart finds love true
I'll end my quest for you.
Hey,
I loved Beren and Luthien. Read the lyrics to "Elrenn and Endoreth" from The Middle-earth Album and you'll see just how much. And if you don't have that album, you'll find the lyrics on GHfan.net
And yes, I was more in awe of Luthien's bravado than her beauty!
Take care,
Steve :bunny:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon May 12, 2003 7:05 pm

Another Silmarillion lover!!!! A hearty welcome to this topic from Sam! :cheers: What makes Elwing your favorite elf? (she's really cool; I agree. Just wondering what in particular you liked most.)
I didn't read Unfinished Tales right after the Sil, but I read it fairly soon after... Probably only a month or two after. I have the most beautiful edition of it too! Harper Collins version, black cover with Numenorean crest on front. The only problem is that you can only get this version in the UK and Canada. :-p But you can order it from tolkientown.com, if not from the harper collins website. And now I'm reading the Lays of beleriand - It's so interesting to see how many different layers of history middle earth has. Both in learning elvish and reading unpublished material like Unfinished Tales you can see Tolkien always changing his mind about everything. The only thing I don't like about the unpublished material is all the commentary by christopher tolkien. Is it just me, or is it unbelievably boring most of the time? Ah well.
Who is Edith Hamilton?
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

^_^

Post by EIwing » Mon May 19, 2003 7:02 pm

You know, it's funny that "Elrenn and Endoreth" is taken from Beren and Luthien, mainly because my dear older sis' said that you created them with no inspiriation from other characters. Silly Susie.
What makes Elwing my favorite character? I love the fact that she is given the shape of a white bird by a Valar. She's a half-Elven, tres cool, and takes the path of an immortal life when given the option between the two lives. And, of course, she's Elrond and Elros' mom. That would make anyone cool.
I agree with you, Sam, on the Unfinished Tales commentary by Christopher Tolkien. Most readers could do without the bulk of it.
Oh, Edith Hamilton is a wonderful old gal who gathered and edited all the Greek, Roman, and Norse mythology tales from several ancient writers for readers to better understand the stories. Her book,
Edith Hamilton's Mythology, is mainly focused on the stories of the Grecian gods and other famed mythological characters.
... In case you can't tell, I'm a sucker for mythology... And, I digress. :cat:
Who do you think I'll be without you?

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: ^_^

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed May 21, 2003 6:41 am

EIwing wrote:You know, it's funny that "Elrenn and Endoreth" is taken from Beren and Luthien, mainly because my dear older sis' said that you created them with no inspiriation from other characters. Silly Susie.
digress. :cat:
:oops:
Okay. Truthfully, I probably did mumble something to her about coming up with the characters on my own. They were certainly inspired by Tolkien's characters though.
And the title of that book I mentioned is "The Worm Oroborus" by E. R. Eddison. This is a "flawed" masterpiece, written a decade or so before LOTRs. There's a review of it here ... http://www.sfsite.com/07b/wo85.htm

Take care,
Steve :cat:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Thu May 22, 2003 9:19 pm

:cackle: Ok, I won't tell Susie about that one. And the names are quite clever! So do they have meaning, or did you choose each for the fun way they roll off the tongue? If I had my cheater's Elvish dictionary, I could know for myself, but guess who has it? :roll:
Anyhoo.
What a cool book! I'll definitely look into the purchasing of it. And what an artistic cover! Thanks for the heads up on it, I'm sure it will be an enriching read.
...I've been listening to Lex Rex non-stop. :D

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri May 23, 2003 9:00 pm

yes, they do have elvish meanings, although unintended, since they don't really make sense. In sindarin, el=star, and rend=circular. Endereth doesn't really mean anything, though apparently en- is the genitive article. In quenya, enda=core/middle, ender=bridegroom, but reth/eth doesn't really mean anything. Anoniel means daughter of "anon", whatever that is, or feminine ending for "anon". (that's the sword, if you don't remember) That's what my elvish internet sites say. My brother has my "Languages of Middle Earth Book" so I'll have to check up on what that says later. So I guess if you imitate elvish you can get elvish meaning to your words, whehter you like it or not. (I once wrote a story about an elf, whom i named Lorefin in an imitation of elvish, later learning that "lorefin" meant "golden haired" in elvish, which fit him perfectly!) Ok anyway. The elvish lesson from the Geek. (i should get a sn like that! TheGeek! that would be cool!)

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

I feel enlightened!

Post by EIwing » Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:28 pm

Thanks, Sam! I feel enlightened. And don't call yourself Geek! :) Be proud of your vast knowledge of the obscure and fantastical.
I was told by a little birdie that you had a Latin parody of Lex Rex. Is this true? I was tres impressed when told. Oh to be so talented and creative! That reminds me.Where do you find parodies like the 'Monty Python's Silmarillion'? That was hilarious. Since I'm a Monty Python fan, I found it most enjoyable!
Anyway. I've digressed and have nothing relevant to say.
Practice was fun today! :cat:

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:26 pm

I am very proud of my geekhood. :D I really don't mind being called/calling myself a geek, because it really is true. I mena, who else would go home and translate latin in their freetime? As in, 2 hours in addition to the half hour of homework, and all just for fun and because it's so addicting? lol, yes i did just say that - translating latin is very addicting for me. I'm a big geek. But that's ok! Geeks are cool! I like being a geek! So you know about Nex Tex? (heehee) Well then. Might as well bring it out into the open. i was going to have my latin/calculus teacher correct it, but he never did and school's over. Oh well. I'll put it up on my site right away.
The Monty Pyython thing and other parodies I found at theonering.net. AWESOME SITE! it's in the Tookish Ticklers section, but beware. Horrible and sickeningly bad puns and absolutely idiotic ramblings are found there... some Tolkien fans think they're just hilarious, and they're really not. At all. Then again, you get cool people who write Monty Python Silmarillions too. Just be very wary of the pun section!!!

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:44 pm

Ha! Just when I say he's not going to get it done, he does. Go Dr. Beane! And I think I have converted him to Glass Hammer in the process, because i gave him a copy of Tales From the Great Wars to listen to so he could know what this was supposed to be for. :angel: hahaha. of course, that means there's a possibility that knowing about glasshammer.com he then could wander over and find this forum and find me talking about him, but there's also a possibility all the molecules could rearrange into a T-Rex. (Would you even know the difference? ;)) So Nex Tex has to undergo some corrections, but oh well.