How do you read?

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

How do you read?

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:50 am

I was curious enough to see how all of us read The Lord of the Rings (or bother books for that matter).

Listen to music when you read?
Have a favorite bookmark?
Favorite place to read?
Best reading Experience?
First book?
Longest book?
Slow reader or fast reader?

Just some ideas, feel free to add your own! :D
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:27 pm

Not sure exactly what you are looking for here but I read it with my eyes out of some old old old used copies I originally obtained ten years ago.

Reading LOTR or Sil. whilst smoking a pipe is a remarkable experience. Unless you are a minor, in which case it is a very very bad experience.
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold;
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: How do you read?

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:20 am

Bnielsen wrote:I was curious enough to see how all of us read The Lord of the Rings (or bother books for that matter).

Favorite place to read?
Best reading Experience?
First book?
Longest book?

Just some ideas, feel free to add your own! :D
1. Nope to the music. I must have quiet.
2. An old receipt or invoice will do just fine.
3. In bed, or on a porch, or near the beach.
4. Kicked back on my patio with a Bernard Cornwell "Sharpe" novel and a ten dollar cigar.
5. First book of note was either Adventures of Tom Sawyer or The Call of the Wild.
6. The Wurm Oroborus took me the longest to read (a year) and seemed the longest (though one of the better ones). It isn't all that long though.
7. I'm fairly slow due to the amount of time I get to read. I read for about 30 - 40 minutes a day.

Here's one I'll add. I've recently had to use reading glasses. They sit on my night stand. There isn't a glass with false teeth next to them, yet. Eyes over 40 that read in poor light for too many years - those are mine.
Steve
8)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:41 am

1. Music? I always listen to music, all the time. It's so lonely without it. Actually, the only time when I don't listen to music is when I get on the computer intending to stay there for only a short time. (because if music starts playing, I can never bring myself to stop a song in the middle, and then I found something stupid to occupy me when that one ends, but then another starts... and i waste too much time.) But if I'm reading something tough or really boring (like Locke or something) it can't be music with lyrics or I'll get to distracted and start singing along in my head.

2. Bookmarks? I have all those free Barnes and Nobles bookmarks from TTT and RotK, so they have been around for the past couple of years - that's at least 10 of them (but i won't touch the bookmarks with liv tyler on them! :-p)... But I'm not particularly attached to any of them because I always lose my bookmarks. In fact, I have been known to eat my bookmarks. I'm actually not kidding - if i can't find a regular bookmark, I'll use a kleenex or a napkin. While I'm reading I'll start chewing on it absent-mindedly and after a couple of days or weeks it's mostly gone and i have to find a new one. I don't think it's a conscious decision though. There's some more weird information for you. ;)

3. Favorite place to read? Flopped out on my bed. It's a daybed, so it's got... *counts* 8 pillows. Yeah, so it's nice and comfy. Also, my room is cool and pretty and it's got some elvish coats-of-arms and a sword on the wall, so it's a good atmosphere for my favorite sorts of book. Not quite right for Locke though. And it's nice and quiet for the most part, because it's in the attic and the little kids mostly hang out on the first floor.

4. My ultimate best reading experience was this past year when I was reading RotK. I had been reading for almost a full hour, so I had enough time to really get into the book. I was comfortable on my bed and listening to Perelandra with my headphones, so all other sounds were blocked out... And then just as I was started the Fields of Cormallen, Heaven came on. It was so incredible. I was almost moved to tears because of the sheer magnitude and beauty of it all... Wow. That was so incredible. Sublime.

5. First book? Other than the "tin man sits on the log" stuff I've been reading since I was four... I think the first chapter book I remember attempting was the Black Stallion, but that confused me for some reason, so I gave up. I used to read all these animal books, though, and I have retained a whole bunch of weird animal information. When I was surprisingly little, like third or fourth grade, I went through *all* the James Herriot books - ever heard of them? "All things bright and beautiful", "all creatures great and small", etc... They're about his life as an english vetrinarian. And they're all at least 400 pages, if I remember correctly... I was a weird little kid. The only thing that's changed since then is that I'm not so little. ;)

6. The longest book I've ever read was LotR, ususally about 1110 pages. But other than that, there was Brothers Karamazov at 729, and The Once and Future King at 628, I believe (and it started to get really boring by the 400th page...). (I think Little Women was 629, but it had a pretty big font.) It took me longest to read the Silmarillion for the first time, though. That book was dense.

7. I am a fast reader, when I do read. But I don't read much anymore. I used to go to the library all the time in the summer and check out 20 books, thinking it would last me a while... but be back there the very next week. And then I started writing, and I would just write when I would have read, and so I have kind of gotten myself out of the habit of reading. *shrug* But I do read some, when I have the incentive!
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:25 pm

It's hard to be sure but the first book I have any clear memory of reading was this one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books

It's a goodern, too!
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:55 am

Realized I never replied to my own topic lol...
Bnielsen wrote:I was curious enough to see how all of us read The Lord of the Rings (or bother books for that matter).

1 Listen to music when you read?
2 Have a favorite bookmark?
3 Favorite place to read?
4 Best reading Experience?
5 First book?
6 Longest book?
7 Slow reader or fast reader?
1. Yes, I love listening to music while I read- preferably soundtracks, piano, classical, or jazz that doesn't have words to distract me.

2. My 'favorite' bookmark is a beatiful leather one with gold inlay of really neat middle age designs, but it's too think for paperbacks, so I generally just use an ATM slip =p

3. I move around a lot when I read, so I grab a couple of large pilliows and blankets and sit/lay/kneel on my bed

4. The best time I ever had reading was when I re-read the entire chronicles of narnia for the first time in 4 years. I was at a resort on the very headwaters of the Chesepeake Bay in Maryland. It was a beautiful warm eraly summer day, sunny, and a soft breeze. I was on a comfortable bench under a shade tree sitting at the top of a 50 foot grassy hill looking right out over the bay. I had my mp3 player playing Antonin Dvorak's 'New World Symphony' and more.

5. First book was "I can do it My Way" which, if I can recall, had Sesame Street characters in it.

6. Longest book I ever read all the way through would be the Lord Of The Rings series (it *was* supposed to be just one book ;-) )

7. I don't exactly 'speed read' but I basically devour books at a fast clip, and retain what I read fairly well
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:06 am

I must read in silence. Night time is best - in bed with reading glasses (over 40 you know).

I also love to read outside on a spring day or early morning. If its afternoon - a cigar doesn't hurt. (only now and then)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:35 am

1. Allways listening to music only make short brake when I sleep
2. I usually use my readingglasses as a bookmark
3. No
4. LOTR I actually read it in 4 languages allready (English is ofcourse the original and the best, the best translation was the Swedish the worst the German the Finnish was Ok)
5. It´s some 40 years ago so I don´t remember but suerly some adventure tale
6. The diary of Winston Churchill (Six big books)
7. Depends on what Harry Potter 5 I read in less than a week
The world is smaller than you think!

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:58 am

1. Listen to music when you read?
2. Have a favorite bookmark?
3. Favorite place to read?
4. Best reading Experience?
5. First book?
6. Longest book?
7. Slow reader or fast reader?

1. Yes, sometimes. :)
2. A wooden one with a heron on it.
3. On a comfy couch with a blanket.
4. None that I can remember.
5. Probably The Saggy Baggy Elephant
6. Ha ha. I remember asking my mom one Christmas when I was little to get me a "big book". A "big book", to me, was one that was very thick and had chapters. She literally gave me a big book. It was large but very short. :roll: Anyways, probably LOTR.
7. I'm an extremely fast reader, which I hate. :evil:

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:07 pm

Bozo wrote: 4. LOTR I actually read it in 4 languages allready (English is ofcourse the original and the best, the best translation was the Swedish the worst the German the Finnish was Ok)
Bozo! You're my hero!!! (Actually, Tolkien harassed the Swedish translator until he got it right, as you'll see in the letters, so I'm not surprised that was the best of the bunch) Hm... I guess i have a new idea to test how well i know each language i plan on acquiring... :lol:
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:57 pm

Well the strongest point in the Swedish translation was all the poems songs and so on. In this translation they not only have tried to translate all songs and poems word for word no they allso made them sound like poems and songs. This is a work that must have taken hundred of hours to do and to get them right it is ofcourse a point of view if you like them like this or just translated. I like them because it make the reading a llot lighter. I meen I was only 11 as I read the Lord Of The Rings for the first time.
The world is smaller than you think!

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Thu May 05, 2005 1:47 am

1. Listen to music when you read? Sometimes
2. Have a favorite bookmark? No
3. Favorite place to read? Bed or sofa
4. Best reading Experience? Mere Christianity
5. First book? Dunno
6. Longest book? Les Miserables, I think
7. Slow reader or fast reader? Depends -- have been both
April
http://progpalaceradio.com

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Thu May 05, 2005 6:35 pm

Most of the time, either on the home stereo or on the iPod if I'm hanging out at the tea house with a good book.

Two Roger Dean bookmarks published by Pomegranate.

Favorite place to read?
On the futon at home or kicking back on the tatami mat at the tea house.

Best reading Experience?
The Silmarillion. I never tire of the beauty in this book and always find it refreshing.

First book?
Hard to recall, but I think it was a novelization of the Brady Bunch three-part episode where they go to Hawaii.

Longest book?
Anna Karenin (I tend to think of "books" like LoTR and Proust's In Search of Lost Times as a series of shorter books, hence the nod to Tolstoy).

On the slower side these days as I'm trying to savor more the first time through. In college I had to read lightning fast as an English major and often missed lots of details doing this. My favorite books I went back and re-read after graduation.

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Sun May 08, 2005 8:48 am

All the time and all sorts of music. I tend not to listen to Bach though, as I find him too distracting.

I have a Belgian lace bookmark that I have overused. I often use train tickets and receipts too.

Favorite place to read?

Lying on the sofa.

Best reading Experience?

Staying up until four in the morning reading the last 300 pages of The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis.

First book?

Not sure, but The Hobbit was a pretty early one.

Longest book?

As a one volume item most publishers tend to stop at 1000 pages, so Mists of Avalon by Marion Bradley. For multi-volume books, I am up to date with Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. I also read all of The Chronicles of an Age of Darkness by Hugh Cook. That's ten volumes for each.

Compared to my wife really slow. I also read Harry Potter volume 5 in less than a week, but I was on holidays at the time. Sometimes I read a lot, other times it will take me a couple of months to get through a book.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

Losfer Words
Amateur
Amateur
Location: hanging from the cobwebs in your mind, looks like a long long way to fall

Post by Losfer Words » Sat May 13, 2006 4:07 pm

1. Listen to music when you read?
yes, usually non-vocal music- classical or new age- kind of like having a soundtrack for a novel. Well unless I am reading something along the lines of Stephen King or Dean Koontz have to dust off the metal CDs (Dio, BOC etc) for that.

2. Have a favorite bookmark?
Never really had the need to use one- I usually can remember the last page number I stopped on.

3. Favorite place to read?
Outside, deck, patio, under a tree, in a tree.

4. Best reading Experience?
too many to choose from
first run through the Silmarillion,
Screwtape Letters,
Joseph Campbell's mythology series

5. First book?
What else- Dr. Seuss!

6. Longest book?
Get's out yardstick and measures the length.
Almost a tie between The Encylopedia of Things That Never Were and The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes :P

7. Slow reader or fast reader?
Slow when reading for entertainment.
Fast when reading for more practical purposes (tech manuals, translating Roland and Akai manuals into actual English etc.)
On a crystal morning I can see the dewdrops falling
Down from a gleaming heaven, I can hear the voices calling
When you comin' home now, son, this world is not for you