Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Belithraldor
Amateur
Amateur

Bunch of questions...

Post by Belithraldor » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:33 pm

Here's the first....

1. Who is Ghân-buri-Ghân?

2. Why do you all think the Barrow-Downs and Barrow-Wights were omitted from the movies?

3. I have seen pics of Glorinfindel, Tom Bombadil, and Radagast the Brown, and others that I never saw in the movies... Were they shot for something else?

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:13 pm

#1 - He is the leader of a group of wildmen with land inbetween Rohan and Gondor. He permits safe passage to the warries of Rohan as they travel to Pelennor fields.

#2 - well, frankly i dont know if anyone knew what to make them look like. they dont contribute to the story much, and would have only made the movies longer and more expensive

#3 - where have you seen them?

(Sam, feel free to add/correct ;-) )
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Belithraldor
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Belithraldor » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:40 pm

Bnielsen wrote:#1 - He is the leader of a group of wildmen with land inbetween Rohan and Gondor. He permits safe passage to the warries of Rohan as they travel to Pelennor fields.

#2 - well, frankly i dont know if anyone knew what to make them look like. they dont contribute to the story much, and would have only made the movies longer and more expensive

#3 - where have you seen them?

(Sam, feel free to add/correct ;-) )

Thanks Bnielson for your reply!!

1. Thanks for that answer. Here's a pic.

2. Here's one interpretation of the Barrow-Wights.

3. Glorinfindel

Tom Bombadil

Radagast

I got this onfo from a site called The Thain's Book

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:32 pm

...And the links don't work. The site's being blocked by my firewall for some reason. I'll have to find a different computer somewhere. (This one always blocks msn, too, for some reaon)

With the whole barrow down thing, I think the issue was more about plot. If you look at the story as a whole, this episode is anything but crucial, and it is, in general, the first thing to be cut in most adaptaions of LotR. I mean, who really cares about Tom, anyway? He was just mainly an inside joke of the Tolkien family... ;)

Then for the Tom scene: PJ has been quoted as saying that he wanted to include a scene where the hobbits are walking through the forest and they catch a glimpse of Tom's hat bobbing through the trees anbd hear strange humming, but they freak out and run away. But he did not film this scene because he did not have time. That's what I have heard from TORN.

Also, with Glorfindel, from what I gather, he's basically just an extra at the council of Elrond, named so they could put something on the decipher card other than "Elf #6. Or named because PJ felt like he somehow needed to be faithful to Tolkien and include this character, even if only random people playing card games and reading TORn knew that this extra actually had some kind of identity. Who knows. But I don't think he was ever really significantly included in the story.

Same with Radagast. I don't know about Tom B. I am curious too see your pictures, once I can figure this out...
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:38 pm

I don't know about that Bombadil pic. It looks like some guy went to the costume store and got a beard and photoshopped himself into a picture with a waterfall...

And yes, PJ made it clear that for a movie adaptaion the hobbits had to get from Hobbiton to Bree as fast as possible and some crazy singing dude would have really freaked out audiences (who weren't familiar with the book). That's why the whole trip seemed to get condensed from- well over a year, really, when you factor in the preparation time, to what seems like 3 days...

Of course, it would be nice if they went back and filmed some new stuff for a serious MEGA super DVD edition. After all it's made over ONE BILLION dollars...
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Belithraldor
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Belithraldor » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:09 am

Yeah, you guys are probably right... I get kind of worked up when I go back to the books and realize PJ left something out. I have to remember that if PJ put everything, from the books, in the movie, we might still be watching the Fellowship of the Ring... :wink:

I actually got those pics from this site...

The Thain's Book

Also, you're right about the decipher cards. Upon further research, I found that a lot of other characters, not in the movies, are included. Basically people or actors went in through WETA and got made-up and posed for still shots for the cards.

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:37 am

Glorfindel is the elf who summons the water spirits to destroy the Nazgul's forms at the ford at Rivendell.

PJ made it into Arwen because he (IMHO) figured out that giving Arwen a bigger role would sell more movie tickets.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:44 pm

Glorfindel is also the guy who died in the Second Age by fighting a Balrog that was attacking the escaping refugees of the recently sacked Gondolin. He got reincarnated. He's one of those problem characters, in the same cateogry as Cirdan having a beard and Miriel deciding to die.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:46 pm

Sam Roads wrote:PJ made it into Arwen because he (IMHO) figured out that giving Arwen a bigger role would sell more movie tickets.

Yeah, it was a combination of wanting to appeal to a female demographic (which obviously worked) and probably some legitimate compositing of characters that happens in any film so you don't have people popping up to be introduced to the audience that then dissapear. Just be glad Arwen wasnt at Helm's Deep :D

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:05 am

FredProgGH wrote:
Sam Roads wrote:PJ made it into Arwen because he (IMHO) figured out that giving Arwen a bigger role would sell more movie tickets.

Yeah, it was a combination of wanting to appeal to a female demographic (which obviously worked) and probably some legitimate compositing of characters that happens in any film so you don't have people popping up to be introduced to the audience that then dissapear. Just be glad Arwen wasnt at Helm's Deep :D

the Arwen appeal to female demographic certainly did not work on me... :angry:

They did actually film Arwen at Helm's deep, and we have stills floating around the internet somewhere to prove it... It's just that Liv Tyler can't act, and so they had to cut them. This was the one moment when I was grateful for her presence in the movie.

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:05 pm

I get this feeling that y'all think John Ronald Reuel is on spin cycle in his grave.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:21 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:the Arwen appeal to female demographic certainly did not work on me... :angry:

1. Not to be too snooty, but I think that most of the people who post in this area of this forum are rather above the general demographic the producers were attempting to appeal to.

2. I don't think Liv is meant to appeal to the female demo. Clearly Orlando Bloom is the appeal to the female demographic.
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold;
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:03 am

idoron wrote:
Sam Gamgee wrote:the Arwen appeal to female demographic certainly did not work on me... :angry:

2. I don't think Liv is meant to appeal to the female demo. Clearly Orlando Bloom is the appeal to the female demographic.

They both are. Liv is to emulate and identify with. She's a butt kickin' grrl who's dad JUST DOESN"T UNDERSTAND but she winds up with hunky broody Aragorn guy anyway... :D :D

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:45 pm

i can see that...guess i should start analyzing movies more than i do...
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:24 pm

FredProgGH wrote:grrl who's dad JUST DOESN"T UNDERSTAND but she winds up with hunky broody Aragorn guy anyway.

I take it back. I didn't consider that aspect. She would specifically appeal to the Females 13-19.
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold;
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West