C.S. Lewis

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Would you name your kid "Clive Staples"?

Heck yeah.
15%
No! What kind of person do you think I am?
23%
Them Brits are all daft, man.
62%

Total votes: 13

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

C.S. Lewis

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:05 am

I think it's high time we talked about C.S. Lewis. What are everyone's favorite books of his? What has everyone read?
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:17 am

The only thing I have actually read by him was the chronicles of Narnia. I loved it as I am into that fantasy fiction kind of stuff. I also loved how he wove in the story of christianity with it in a way that was not too obvious but if you were paying attention you would get it, that was really cool. I read the 7 books when I was about 12 and I picked up on the biblical angle of the books even then, but then I re-read them just two years ago and that got me interested in Tolkien and so off I went with the hobbit, LOTR, and the Silmarillion. My mom has Mere Christianity but I have not read it.
[img]http://members.aol.com/liquidmetalmusic/king2.jpg[/img] *Faith* is the realization of what is hoped for, and evidence of things not seen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:32 am

We would probably not be having this conversation if it were not for "Mere Christianity". It actually had that much impact on me back in the 80's.
I really like all the Lewis I've read, and I've read most of it. Narnia rocks - of course.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:08 pm

Same here, Steve. I credit 'Mere Christianity' second only to the Bible for solidifying the foundations of my faith. It answered SOOOOOOO many questions.

Other favorites are 'The 4 Loves' and 'Till We Have Faces'. Both are difficult reads but worth it. And of course there's the Screwtape Letters. Classic, even humorous in a backhanded way (given the subject matter).

April
http://theprogpalace.com

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Post by esteban » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:19 pm

Everytime I get it in my head to "read all Lewis' works" I find more of them.

Before college I read the Narnia series and the "Space Trilogy". I didn't understand [i]The Power That Preserves[/i] at all. Then.

Fast forward many years, and I decided that it was time to grok tPTP, so I took it up again. By then I had enough experience in the themes Lewis worked into the book that I understood so much more.

In fact, both this book and Dorothy L. Sayers' "detective romance" [i]Gaudy Night[/i] made much more sense to me after I decided to enter academia.

Suggestion: shouldn't Lewis become a "main topic" on the Forum, given the impending album/conference?
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:34 pm

Perelandra should be considered Lewis' Opus.

It is easily he best work - fiction or non-fiction. Insightful, startling, amazingly poingnant and observant.

Out of the Silent Planet is also very very good.
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold;
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

What about "Screwtape"?

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat May 21, 2005 8:52 pm

I can't believe "Screwtape Letters" hasn't been mentioned here. I love that book and get more out of it everytime I read or study it. I was fortunate to go through a sunday school class on it a while back with alot of people smarter than me that helped flesh it out alot. I have "Mere Christianity", and have read it a couple of times-but seem to have a hard time following some of his apologetic arguments-it's been years, so I need to read it again for sure. I have the sci-fi series too(OFTSP,Perelenrda, and Hideos Strength)-but have never gotten all the way thru them either. I guess the "Narnia" books are my fav cause there easier to understand, and cause the Christian allegory is just soooo cool.

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Mon May 23, 2005 1:02 am

Well for me Narnia is the best as I still haven´t read any another of his books. But I will go to the Libary today and see too that this will change.
The world is smaller than you think!

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:51 am

My favorites are Narnia/Space Trilogy, Till We Have Faces and the Four Loves. And yeah, Clive Staples is a bloody awesome name!

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:59 am

Clive Staples but who does the hole punching and filing?

Oh dear, oh dear... :cry:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]