What Book would I Read....

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Belithraldor
Amateur
Amateur

What Book would I Read....

Post by Belithraldor » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:01 am

...If I wanted read about the evants and happenings in Dol Guldur? I have been reading around the Net about the White Council and such. I have been reading about how Sauron, after his defeat by the last alliance went to Dol Guldur and how the Mirkwood got its name from the shadow of evil from Sauron being there. I have read about Gandalf going there, in disguise, the investigate...

I guess that I'm looking to read about the events and happenings from time Isildur cut the ring from Sauron up to "The Hobbit".

What book(s) do I need?
Butch Snyder - aka, Belithraldor
www.butchsnyder.com
www.myspace.com/butchsnyder

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:07 pm

Silmarillion, part two. But read the whole thing!
steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Belithraldor
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Belithraldor » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:11 pm

So, I should put down The Hobbit, which I am currently reading and kind of start over; starting with the Silmarillion right? Then what after Sil Part II? "The Ring of Morgoth"?

Oh, BTW, thanks Steve for the input.
Butch Snyder - aka, Belithraldor
www.butchsnyder.com
www.myspace.com/butchsnyder

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:24 pm

Belithraldor wrote:So, I should put down The Hobbit, which I am currently reading and kind of start over; starting with the Silmarillion right? Then what after Sil Part II? "The Ring of Morgoth"?

Oh, BTW, thanks Steve for the input.

By all means, enjoy the Hobbit if that's where you are. Then, the Sil. After that, maybe Sam can help. I've only read The Book of Lost Tales. I've got Tom Bombadil book too, but that hardly counts.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:52 am

MayorOfLongview wrote:By all means, enjoy the Hobbit if that's where you are. Then, the Sil. After that, maybe Sam can help. I've only read The Book of Lost Tales. I've got Tom Bombadil book too, but that hardly counts.
Steve

Yes, I guess you're right Steve, thanks..

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:22 am

Have you read the LotR appendix? It's long and so complex it gives you heaches to think of how much of a genius Tolkien is, but it answers a lot of questions. After the hobbit and the Sil, if you're still plugging along, I'd recommend Unfinished Tales. That book fills in a lot of details around vague parts in LotR and the Sil. Hm... After that , if you like epic poems I'd recommend the Lays of Beleriand, otherwise the Lost Tales have early versions of the core legends of the Silmarillion (some are even funny, but Christopher's commentary can be incredibly boring), but I would also recommend the Tolkien Reader for "Tree and Leaf" (his essay on fairy stories) or Tolkien's letters to get a good understanding of the setting of all of these stories... After that we'll talk. :lol: Naw, if you just get past the Sil I'll be happy. :)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]