Must Read Sci Fi

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Peter the High King

Must Read Sci Fi

Post by Peter the High King » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:52 pm

With regards to non-high literature, I tend to think the Science Fiction genre has more going for it than Fantasy literature, in part because there is a greater concentration of talent in Sci Fi than in Fantasy. That said, here are some must-read sci fi classics:

H.G. Wells, "The War of the Worlds," "The Time Machine"

Isaac Asimov, The Foundation Trilogy ("Foundation," "Foundation and Empire," "Second Foundation") The Robot Trilogy ("The Caves of Steel," "The Naked Sun," "The Robots of Dawn,")

Arthur C. Clarke, "Rendez-vous with Rama," "Childhood's End"

Frederic Pohl, "Gateway"

Robert Heinlein, "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" (juvenilia) "Time for the Stars," (Juvenilia), "The Door into Summer," "Starship Troopers," "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"

David Brin, "Sundiver," "Startide Rising," "The Uplift War" (aka The Uplift Trilogy)

Ray Bradbury, "The Martian Chronicles"

Frank Herbert, "Dune" (I must admit to not liking the rest of the books in the series)

There are undoubtedly many more of this calibre, but this is good for a start.

Peter the High King

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:01 am

ggod list.

Always liked Bradbury, Asimov, and Wells' work, and love Dune.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:07 pm

I can recommend Greg Bear's "Eon". I belive it's an example of "hard" sci-fi but I found its central principle (which I won't divulge here!) fascinating. The sequel "Eternity" suffered slightly from the law of diminishing returns and the third book "Legacy" even moreso, but "Eon" is a corker!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

milomorai

Post by milomorai » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:12 pm

How about Alfred Bester - The Demolished Man and The Stars My Destination.

One of my favorites is the too-often-forgotten H. Beam Piper (Little Fuzzy, Space Viking, Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen, and oodles of great short stories).
"All that you touch
You change.
All that you change
Changes you."
Parable of the Sower, Octavia Butler

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:13 pm

A recent must read scifi title for me is M. John Harrison's Light.

I'd also add A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge and the Doomsday Book by Connie Willis to any list

Of the Heinlein, I love The Door into Summer. The Asimov holds up well. Readers of the Foundation books might also enjoy The Gods Themselves.

Other musts IMO: The Dispossessed, The Lathe of Heaven and The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin.

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:53 am

I used to like Asimov when I was a teenager. I also really enjoy everythnig Ursula LeGuinn does, including The Left Hand of Darkness. Other than that the only SF I have been greatly impressed by is The Gap series by the infamous Stephen Donaldson. Space Opera in the truest sense of the word, being at least partially based on Wagner's Ring Cycle. It's still pretty harrowing, as Donaldson doesn't believe in giving his main characters an easy time.

Most of nmy friends who read SF worship either Heinlein or Larry Niven. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Ringworld.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:59 pm

Two more must reads for me:

THE Dream Master and Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny.

Alatar,

I enjoyed Asimov best while in HS. Though I re-read the Foundation trilogy when the later Foundation novels started to appear in the 1980's.

Dr. Edward Morbius
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Dr. Edward Morbius » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:50 pm

Last edited by Dr. Edward Morbius on Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

milomorai

Post by milomorai » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:35 am

Dan Simmons Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion are must reads -- Hyperion is a SF Canterbury Tales -- and Simmons' horror background creeps through. Some of the tales are disturbing.

The follow ups - Endymion - were good, but not quite as good. To me anyway.
"All that you touch
You change.
All that you change
Changes you."

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:04 pm

I'm surprised C.J. Cherryh's name hasn't come up either--- she's not a "classic", but she's very good. Try the the Chanur Saga, Wave Without a Shore, the and the Foreigner Series. She's also written a few fantasy novels, also, such as the Dreaming Tree and The Tree of Swords and Jewels.

I'm also an Asimov fan, although I was kinda disappointed with the I, Robot movie that just came out . . . :?

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:40 am

alien2112 wrote:I'm also an Asimov fan, although I was kinda disappointed with the I, Robot movie that just came out . . . :?

One piece of information that made me feel better about the I, Robot movie was the way it was conceived. The producer had been trying to get the rights to I, Robot for some time, when the studio got hold of a script that was of the same sort of flavour. Half way through production they got the rights to I, Robot and so decided to tweak the script to tie it in with Asimov's universe. This explains why the movie is not true to the spirit of the original stories in a number of instances.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:55 am

I wish they called it something else and didn't use Asimov's characters' names such as Susan Calvin, etc. :?

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:18 am

But in itself it was a pretty cool movie. I mean, dang, those robots were awesome! Compared to 80's movies, like Flight of the Navigator, or even Star Wars? Ha! I'd like to see the Jedi take on these guys.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

milomorai

Post by milomorai » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:15 pm

Is it just me, or did anybody else enjoy reading The Horseclans by Robert Adams?

I know, I know . . . some of the ideas are better than the writing . . . and there are some pretty gruesome scenes . . . but . . . I confess I liked them.
"All that you touch
You change.
All that you change
Changes you."

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:34 pm

I've read a few of these, but I'm kind of surprised that "The Worthing Saga" wasn't on that list (by Orson Scott Card). Out of THIS list of Sci Fis (or any others for that matter) does anyone have any super duper suggestions, as in must read this very second?

Another question, is Marillion's album Childhood's End in any connected to the book of the same name?
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.