Introduce yourself!

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Introduce yourself!

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun May 08, 2005 10:20 am

The forum's been running for what, two years now? And we've never had an official introduction page. This might be a good time to start, whether you've been around for awhile or you're relatively new.

Hello, I'm Sam (aka Stephanie), manager of the one and only Glass Hammer Fan Site, http://www.ghfan.net. I'm a college student who's been obsessed with GH since sixth grade when I listened to Journey of the Dunadan 5 times a day (yeah, that is literal), and around then I started emailing Steve on a regular basis, and whaddaya know - now I've been in the NF choir, I have a recorder solo and some elvish and latin lyrics on the Inconsolable Secret! (which is so freaking awesome I still can hardly believe it...) :D Oh, and I should probably mention that I'm pretty much an ubernerd, so you have been forewarned. ^_^ (Yeah, I taught myself Quenya because I am obsessed with Tolkien, and I love other languages too... and school in general.)
Last edited by Sam Gamgee on Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Sun May 08, 2005 3:10 pm

Hi! I'm the Alien (also less known as Emily)! :mrgreen:

I'm a college student majoring in art, heading towards animation as a career. I've just started becoming a total Hammerhead, and blab about GH whenever I get a chance even though everyone at my college gives me looks similar to :shock: and :roll:

I like to read alot (whenever I get the time, which isn't often anymore), especially sci-fi and fantasy (yes, I have read LOTR, although I am definitely not a language geek like Sam :oops:)

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Sun May 08, 2005 3:50 pm

Hi I´m Bozo (allso none as Johan)

I´m 45 years old. Usually works as a kitchenchef but I´m just having a 2,5 year break raising my yongest daughter Thyra. So at the end of the summer it´s back to work. I´m a former bassplayer, former soundmixer, former lightmixer, former racing driver and now father of five children and one grandchild. I started listning to prog as I was about 9 years old and still in to it.

I guess thats my life in a nutshell.
The world is smaller than you think!

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Post by esteban » Sun May 08, 2005 5:18 pm

Right, then, guess I'm next.

I'm esteban, and while most folks call me Stephen, on campus I sometimes get called "professor". I wonder what the student:faculty ratio is on this forum?

I live on the picturesque Cumberland Plateau of Tennessee where I teach, hike on beatiful spring days like today, and enjoy some live jazz/bluegrass/symphony/organ music (one of the great benefits of living near a university). We don't get much live rock, but I'll get my live prog fix this fall in Nashville :dance2:

Way back in high school a friend gave me a stack of LPs he no longer wanted (for the young-uns, those are big round black things that play music when spun 'round). The stack included the triple-album Yessongs; I was instantly hooked. In fact, I've been assimilated.
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Sun May 08, 2005 6:49 pm

I really need to update this!
Last edited by theHermit on Sat May 06, 2006 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bb
Amateur
Amateur

Post by bb » Sun May 08, 2005 8:12 pm

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to put my 2 cents in.

I'm Karl, Fred's big brother (hence the forum name). "Big" here is to be read as "older", if you've seen us together you know that it doesn't apply in any other sense!

I'm an Ingres developer (http://opensource.ca.com/projects/ingres/ if you're curious) and all-around computer geek. (I have a hunch that it was the Solaris/SunOS answer that got me the fancy score on the nerdliness test. I have an Ultra 2 in the basement, and all our other machines are Macs; the one peecee isn't mine.) I've lived near Pittsburgh essentially all my life, it was the rest of the family who moved away. Outside of Glass Hammer, I have to admit that all the other music I listen to was written by dead white guys (*) (and the occasional woman), usually a long time ago.

The baby has just finished her freshman year in college, and everyone not permanently moved away has summer jobs somewhere else. We're on our own this summer, yay!

(*) No, silly, they weren't dead when they wrote the stuff.

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Sun May 08, 2005 10:49 pm

Hi Karl,

Yet another member of the Glass Hammer choir!

I'm April, live in metro DC, and am a nurse at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD. I arranged the choir music on Live at NEARFest (with lots of help from Fred et al.) and rehearsed/directed the choir that weekend. I did get a music degree in a former life, which I lovingly (?) refer to as my pre-unemployment degree! I help Greg with his Internet radio station, The Prog Palace (http://www.progpalaceradio.com). I'm working on my Masters in End-Of-Life Care at GWU, and sing with the Master Chorale at the Kennedy Center -- in my 'spare' time !?!?!?!

I discovered GH when they were being considered for NF. I've registered Greg and I for the CSL conference in November, so we'll both be there!
April
http://progpalaceradio.com

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon May 09, 2005 8:00 am

Hey guys, I'm Brian Nielsen, 22 from outside Philly, PA, USA

I was introduced to Glass Hammer by Rob LaDuca, one of the NEARFest heads, when he asked me if I could sing well. I was a part of the 03 choir, and it was an AMAZING experience.

I've always liked varying forms of progressive rock music, with Kansas being my first love. I've played the piano for 18 years now.

On these here forums you can see me making a general fool of myself, trying to piss Sam off with puns, and enjoying a (self-proclaimed) #2 biggest GH fan's access to the band that they give us here! =)

I work right now as a contracted employee for Xerox, working at a Veterans Hospital. I manage a fleet of 53 walk-up copier/fax/print/scan machines, and a car-sized production copier.

I enjoy reading, online gaming, listening to music, and working on computers.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Mon May 09, 2005 8:11 am

Alias: Superted
Name: Eddie
Age: 1 second/second, just like everyone else (OK, its 37, happy now?)
Location: Ireland - Land of Saints and Scholars (and potatoes and Guinness)
Education: Physics Honours & Computing Masters with a bare scrapethrough from the University of Life
Job: Dark Lord & Master of the IT Department for a software company
Fave Music: Prog, prog and more prog
Height: Yes
Width: Wider than I used to be
Depth: Not very!
Eye Colour: Which one?
Inside Leg: Mind your own business, cheeky!
Fave TV Show: Transvestites have shows?
Fave Instrument: Triangle (apparently)

In the future, I'd like to work with underprivileged kids and help small animals...but only if the money's right of course.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon May 09, 2005 10:57 am

I'll get in on this action. Yep, that's my name, John C. I live in Woodstock, GA, a suburb on the northwest side of Atlanta. I spend the paid portion of my waking hours as a server and training director at a restaurant. I used to be into reading sci-fi with a sprinkling of fantasy, but am more inclined to check out military novels from the library nowadays. I'm 40, have two goddaughters, and am related to a nephew by blood and a niece-and-nephew by marriage. I don't meet people that easily--the screenname "theHermit" could easily have been mine had I thought of it before he did.

Oh, and then there's the music side of me. This coming July 7 will mark twenty years to the day since I walked into that pawnshop and bought that first bass guitar. I play with four different bands, with NoiseDotCom being the most active.

Last word: I in case you haven't been able to make it out coz it's so small, the words in my avatar, below the drawing of the, uh, surprised cow, read "Hamburgers are made of WHAT???" :shock: :lol:
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

Post by Guest » Mon May 09, 2005 11:20 am

Hello, I'm new. I am older than I was, and shorter, too. Brian is my name, and wakefield, in England my home. Drunks vomit on me for a living, and I try to type a few lines of incoherent nonsense on my phd thesis every now and then, in the vain hope that I might finish it some day soon. I have a tendency to type things in lower case evry now and then, not because i am badly educated but because my typing finger spasms easily.
I am emotionally about eighteen, and according to mrs dharma look younger than my forty years, although she does like m people and consequently I discount most if not all of her opinions.
My favourite colour is taupe, and small mammal gerbil.
I like making things out of grass cuttings, and have been known to listen to some or all of the following:
Television static; blue oyster cult, the flower kings, yes/rush/genesis/elp/marillion; spock's beard; dave matthews band; kaipa; magenta; umphrey's mcgee; IQ; transatlantic; tool; porcupine tree; pineapple thief; magellan; dream theater; citizen cain; magrathea; kino; tiles.

buckdharma

Post by buckdharma » Mon May 09, 2005 11:22 am

...and sometimes forget to log in.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon May 09, 2005 11:31 am

hey Jonhc- glad you are still alive
he and I got to hang out two weekends ago at ROSFest (hi april!) and had a blast. He got to see me play some kansas and GH on my keyboard.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Venividi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Venividi » Mon May 09, 2005 12:25 pm

Hey all,

My name is Mike, I am 46 years old and live in Saint Paul, MN with my wife and 8 children. I work in the IT department of a Minnesota based company. I have been listening to prog since 1973 when I first heard "Roundabout" on the radio and thought it was a new song by my then favorite band, The Edgar Winter Group. Once I learned it was Yes, and acquired the album I was hooked on prog, though I only knew about the mainstream stuf (Yes, ELP, Kansas, Genesis, Etc.). Back around 1998 I was introduced to Glass Hammer by reading a post (perhaps posted by Steve 8)) in the alt.music.yes newsgroup which suggested that, if you like Yes, you will probably like GH. GH soon became my favorite band and has stayed in the #1 spot since.

I am also a musician. My main instrument is bass. I don't post to the forum often (due to shyness), but I read it daily. I hold the distinction of introducing GH's self-proclaimed #1 fan to GH's music, which got me the privilege of being in GH's Nearfest '03 choir. I also believe that I hold the disctintion of being the only person on the forum to have 2 offspring who are active GH Fans and forum posters.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon May 09, 2005 12:45 pm

Yes, I failed to mention that venividi was the one who recommended JotD, didn't I? :oops: But you got it in 1997, because I remember we had it for awhile before I cared about it (I had to read all of LotR first) and then it was a while after that when we got On to Evermore as it was first coming out... Not that it really matters...
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]