Amazing Show!

November 2005 - Belmont University

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:26 pm

It was so awesome to meet all of you and get to see those we already knew! The show went really well, and it was largely because of the massive amounts of support the band got. I just want to say thank you to all of you that managed to make it to Nashville and those of you that were there in mind or spirit, if not body. Thank you all so much!

It was a blast to be on stage in front of you all and working with all those fantastic musicians that make up GH.

Thanks again for a great weekend! :D :D :D
Who do you think I'll be without you?

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:33 pm

How did the show go anyhoo? I spent most of the time trying to steal some kid's M&Ms ;-)
Seriously though, first class show and I can't wait for the DVD.
The Family Gamgee are a great bunch BTW!
I'll have more to say when I get home (groan!) but what a show !!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:49 pm

Hey, Shreddy - I can't remember if I got a chance to tell you this after the show, but you were incredible!! Wow!!! I really hope you play with the band a lot longer so I can see that again. :mrgreen:

Man, that was so surreal putting faces to everyone. It was really cool though! I wish I had gotten a chance to talk to some of you for longer, but oh well. There's always next time, right? And at least I got to hang out with SuperTed. I think he's my new favorite person of the month. ;) Hey, did anyone else talk to the guy that drove from LA? Wow. Is he a forumer? That's hardcore! It was so fun being in such a big crowd of GH fans!!!

Highlights of the concert for me: Seeing Shreddy and Fred go back and forth in their amazing little solos that somehow I failed to notice on the actual CD, watching Fred play the beginning of Maker of Crowns (I never really paid attention to that part much until I realized that yes, he's actually playing this with only two hands), Steve growling out those Knight of the North parts Wyzards style - he's got it down without all those special effects!, Bethany's superb solo on Run Lisette and the vocals in general, Matt's little egg-shaker solo (lol!!), and... and... Well, I don't know. It was all awesome. Especially that beginning of Knight of the North live with those strings, or when GH made their grand entrance to Walking Towards Doom (were you all that nervous about the concert, guys? ;))... It was amazing. Loved it. And then Having Caught a Glimpse with some a capella Elvish in there didn't hurt....

I really hope I can come to Chattanooga. I'll drag someone else from Chicago to get the 2-for-1 Amtrak discount or something... (Saaaayyyyy, Thereminnnnn?????) lol.

Well, seeing as how I was confined to a car for most of the day, I had nothing better to do than sort through pictures, so check

http://www.ghfan.net/news.html

for the updates with all my good pictures already! Wow, aren't I impressively fast? I know!! And send me your pictures, if you have them. I would love to put them up. I didn't get very good pictures of David or Carl or the girls, really, and most of the Fred ones are a little blurry... :( But I got some good ones of Steve and the Adonia String Trio... and Matt at the practice... uh...

**Oh! And if you see any spelling mistakes, could you please correct me? (And Ted, don't even try to convince me that Ed is spelled with four d's... :lol:)**
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:06 pm

i think it's edddd....
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

Elric
Amateur
Amateur

Great show

Post by Elric » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:19 am

I sat beside the guy from LA on the front row and we talked a while. I am not sure what he does, but he definitely was a huge GH fan, and was headed to the LoTR symphony later that evening. He was hardcore fan to drive that far!

Hope to see some familiar faces in January.
Brent

Be kind to my mistakes, because I am not.....Kate Bush

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:53 am

I can't believe my buddy Elric beat me with two posts on here already, but then I went to Dollywood with my family yesterday(after 4 hrs. of sleep). And Elric has no life now(He knows what I mean), and I have a wife and four kids! What an incredible weekend-with the GH/SH show being the highlight of it all. If seeing this show followed by Stryper(3 miles down the road)2 hours later,wasn't strange enough- then seeing the Von Trapp children(yes-descendants of the Sound of Music Family)on Sunday with my family. What a strange, wild, wonderful weekend. There are so many wonderful things I could say about the GH/SH show.To meet all the guys and gals, and all the fans(who traveled much farther Than we did). Seeing Randy George play with Salem Hill-who were incredible by the way. To see Carl step in like He did(what a long day for him.)Carl-If you do the show at the Tivoli-make Fred and Steve buy you a teleprompter-maybe Jon Anderson can loan you one!Shreddy was absolutely amazing!!!!And the nicest guy in the world. Meeting everyone afterwards was so cool and relaxed-this was truly a family!Musicaally-there were so many highlights, but I'd have to say my top three were Long and long Ago,Run Lissette, and When we were young(the choir was amazing)-and that last one made this grown man cry-i'm not ashamed to admit it!!!!And it's fuuny to read the comments earlier about being second to Yes, because our buddy Rob made the comment on the way home that this actually might have beat our Yes show last year-also on the front row!!!I guess it makes it more special when you feel like you have a personal connection with the band-and they're all such great people. The girls sounded great as usual-Susie's lead vocal was awesome!, and Matt was awesome as ever-just couldn't see him behind the glass. I could go on and on-and I probably will later. What a magical show-can't wait to see the DVD. Thank you Fred and Steve, and the whole GH crew-it was an experience I'll never forget-and it even exceeded my expectations!!! God Bless you all!P.S. Eric was great on the slide too-just couldn't see him very well-oh, the pitfalls of being on the front row!Peace,David.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:51 pm

Brian here, very exhausted from the traveling and such, more to come!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:45 pm

which yes show did you get to go see? i saw the one in atlanta. suffice to say we weren't on the front row...we could kinda see it though...kinda...

who else is on a GH listening spree? (more than normal anyway :P)

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:51 pm

Me!!!! I always underestimate how much I love some of these albums I haven't heard in awhile until I hear a few seconds of them. Then I want to play them over and savor every moment. :lol:
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Peter the High King

Comments on the Show

Post by Peter the High King » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:18 pm

I, too, thought the show was terrific. I was especially pleased to hear songs from Shadowlands, which, after The Inconsolable Secret, is my favorite album. Actually, I think that the long song on Shadowlands--Behind the Great Beyond--is better than either of the epics on Secret. Secret, IMHO, shines brightest on the second disc, which truly breaks new ground, not just for GH, but for all of rock.

In the spirit of positive criticism and with over thirty rock concerts--both prog and non-prog--under my belt, let me say just a few things about the show:

1. The audience was far too tame. A rock show should be a ROCK SHOW. I kept wanting to leap from my seat, hoot and holler, yell "Go Fred!" "Matt!!" and such, like I would scream to Keith Emerson or Steve Howe, during a particularly ferocious lick, but felt constrained: a bit like I was sitting in a room full of church ladies or D&D gamers. IMHO, no one should be sitting during songs like Run Lisette and the finale of Having Caught a Glimpse. The crowd lacked energy.

2. It seemed to me that there were, at times, problems with the mix. It was almost impossible to hear the girls early on in the show (this was rectified later) and the same problem occured with the choir: couldn't hear them, when the band was playing full hog. Of course, this is the kind of thing that can be fixed, in the course of producing the DVD.

3. The band seemed to have difficulty keeping time, during Farewell to Shadowlands. Of course, it is a very hard song to keep time to. (Alan White, notoriously, has difficulty keeping time on Close to the Edge--Bruford is a far superior drummer, in this respect--and consequently, YES has slowed down the song tremendously, when playing it in recent years).

All of this, of course, is in the context of a magnificent show. Glass Hammer is playing adventurous, difficult music, and putting on a spectacle every bit as ambitious as a YES or an ELP. Given how infrequently they play live, the performance was superlative. I only wish I could see them more often.

Love and gratitude,

Peter

p.s. Sorry I couldn't make the dinner. I came down with a nasty case of bronchitis Thursday morning and after a full day of conferencing on Friday, I had to rest.

p.p.s I am going to post some remarks on the conference itself in the General Forum, for those who are interested. Additionally, if anyone has critical remarks on the paper I gave--posted on my webpage--I would welcome them. It's the only way that one's work gets better.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:53 pm

Oh man, what a weekend!

The show was just plain awesome! I know you all worked hard to pull this off, and but for a few minor errors, that mostly went undetected by the greater crowd, I was overcome with emotion.

One quibble was the real loss of Walter not singing One King, it just wasn't the same!

Highlights: Run Lisette and Farewell to Shadowlands- very awesome to hear stuff from Shadowlands live!!

Knight of the North- SO COOL HEARING THIS STUFF LIVE! lol steve, me and druidsglass were both singing at the "AND HEEE DIEEEEEED!" Too powerful for words man!

Susies solo in Through a Glass Darker- FAN-FLIPPIN-TASTIC! The crowd did not sit down or stop applauding until Steve recognized her again.

The choir adding some serious kick to When We Were Young and Having Caught a Glimpse! The choir eventually made up its mind to come in lol.... Loved the ending you picked for it

Heroes and Dragons...
...I still cannot put into words how incredible it felt, how amazing it was to be there when you guys played this.... Carl did a wonderful job singing it...
Steve, the look on your face... utterly amazing- it did indeed go way beyond perfomance at that point...

I want to thank Steve, Fred, Matt, and Eric for allowing me to share my story, and the impact of my life you had on me... thanks again for letting me pray with/for you all. Do not doubt for one moment that you all are a foce of good in this world.

Nice seeing your son and wife steve, and you also bethany, flo, and susie.

Me and Michael (druids) helped the guys break down all the equiptment and get it to the van outside, was very fun!

Now, Ted ted "Eddie" irishman! You and your wife were simply too nice to me! thanks for spending that day with me! Incidentally, I walked back to the hotel after the symphony show, took over an hour! i was HURTIN =p ***I SAW YOU TWO WALKING TOGETHER ON MY WAY TO THE AIRPORT 10AM SUNDAY**

Druidsglass, awesome to have met you in person my friend, and yes, that offer still stands. Thanks for helping me with GH's stuff... Nice to meet your brother and dad as well. Why did you think i was in my 30s before you met me ? lol

Estaban, also nice to see you as well.

Steph- very nice to see you again, sorry we didnt get a chance to talk more!

Big shout out to everyone with the gh inconsolable secret t's =p

Um.. i think thats it for now...
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:45 pm

i don't know...gut feeling i guess, lol

Elric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elric » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:59 pm

YesHead and I were at the Atlanta show as well. We were right in front of Steve Howe. :)

Anyways, more of the show. I would like to say that although I thought everything was great, I had a hard time hearing the ladies at times. Other than that, I loved everything!

I too felt like jumping out of my seat at times, but being on front row, I would have eclipsed a good bit of the show :wink: .

Once again, thanks for being good to your fans guys!
Brent

Be kind to my mistakes, because I am not.....Kate Bush

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:29 am

Yeah, there were occasional bugs in the mix and the monitors that threw us for a loop in places but the crew was very professional and took care of things as best they could. THIS IS A HUGE UNDERTAKING, PEOPLE. It never goes perfect the first time out. We don't insert glitches into a show for our amusement; they're glitches :P :P (It may horrify some of you to know that, contrary to my original plan, I even played a few wrong notes here or there...)

But all in all I thought it came off well and the Chattanooga show should be even better for a number of reasons- though the stage won't be as wonderful 8)
The Tivoli is a really sweet venue though. Anyone who is close enough to make the trip a second time whould get a treat.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Peter the High King

Not a Complaint

Post by Peter the High King » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:41 am

Fred, I don't think anyone--least of all me--is complaining or expecting perfection. I've been a professional scholar for over 10 years now, and the work that I do, which also involves intricate preparation, in the form of research, and long periods of execution, in the form of writing and revision, is such that it can always be made better. This is why I always seek out the fiercest of critics rather than sycophants: the critics bring out the best in my work, while the sycophants encourage me to rest on my laurels. That someone has paid enough attention to what I have written to notice my errors and cares so much about me and my work to spend the time to prepare criticisms is the greatest form of praise I can imagine.

You guys are fabulous and are getting better with every album that you do. I notice things, because I pay such close attention. And I mention what I notice, because I want to help those whom I love be the best that they can be. I love Glass Hammer, and I believe that you can be the best progressive rock band that there has ever been. That is not hyperbole. It is the truth.

--Peter the High King