Amazing Show!

November 2005 - Belmont University

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:51 am

Sure, Peter, I totally appreciate that. I usually take criticism to be pertaining to things that are voluntary though, or at least not obvious, like:

"I don't think you should have voiced that chord like that, put the root on the bottom."

or,

"There's a wire there- you could trip on it. Why not move it."

As opposed to

"You know what would have made the show even better? If you had played that part on time. You know, like you practiced for two months to do and then didn't."

:P :P :D :D

I'm just giving you a hard time because, believe me, I'm painfully aware of every second of the show that didn't go exactly the way I wanted it to, and there were a few. :oops:
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Peter the High King

On Time

Post by Peter the High King » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:08 am

Fred, I can't tell you how many times I have gone into a conference scenario, fully prepared---paper exhaustively researched, delivery practiced---only to flub the Q & A. Heck, it happened to me just two months ago, in Oxford. I gave a paper at the annual meeting of the British Society of Aesthetics, at St. Edmund Hall, Oxford University, to which I've been invited to present the last three years. It was unquestionably the best of the three papers I'd done, and I was well prepared. But as I was giving the paper, I could feel that my head was a little foggy; I wasn't as alert as I'd like to be.

When the Q&A came, several professors, one from Oxford, two from Manchester, went after me with knives drawn. And despite the fact that my paper was waterproof and airtight, they drew blood: not because their criticisms were so good--in fact, they were easily refuted--but because I just wasn't sharp. And as they continued to press me, my answers got worse and worse.

Afterwards, during the afternoon sherry (or seven), several people came up to me and told me that they thought I'd gotten a raw deal. That these three fellows had piled on, when they had to know that they really had no case. I told them that I wasn't upset at all, and then you know what I did? I went over to my critics, got them a drink, thanked them, and then proceeded to demolish their arguments, in the manner that I should have done earlier. But my thanks were sincere: they were right to press me, and they were right to press harder, when my answers were inadequate. It meant that they respected the importance of what I was doing, and were going to insist that it be done correctly. And because of that insistence, I was able to gird myself and later come back and finish the job.

We then proceeded to the pub to finish the evening. From what I recall, it was all laughs afterwards.

Thank you for such a memorable experience. I haven't heard such good music since a Jethro Tull/ELP double-bill that I saw some ten years ago in New York.

--Peter the High King

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:50 pm

You can read some details of my weekend at WheatFest 9 in the thread entitled "Kansas," but I can't resist poking my nose into this. Glitches and flubs are a potential part of the live-music experience. You practice, learn your parts, hope you execute everything perfectly, and sometimes you don't, then you just keep plowing through the song. I'm sure the videotape of the fan jam will show clams, but overall I can be proud of the groove I threw down with the drummer, keeping it on time and on count so the other folks wouldn't get messed up. And we played with a mere six hours to get the instruments and PA set up and working, and then to rehearse. Oh, and to grab a bite to eat too.

So, having not even attended the show, I can still say that each bandmember and crewmember did a fantastic job.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:02 pm

I was flawless. What's wrong with the rest of you?
8)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:09 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:I was flawless. What's wrong with the rest of you?
8)
Jumpin' jew's-harps, I'm grateful I wasn't drinking anything when I read that. Ya gots to admire a mayor who's both talented and humble. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:32 pm

johnc wrote:
MayorOfLongview wrote:I was flawless. What's wrong with the rest of you?
8)
Jumpin' jew's-harps, I'm grateful I wasn't drinking anything when I read that. Ya gots to admire a mayor who's both talented and humble. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mr Mayor sir, you *did* only have to play the bass and sing a few notes here and there =p

heck- the hardest thing you had to deal with was looking out in the crowd and seeing me rocking out and triyng to keep a straight face =p
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:01 pm

Brian, I'd back away slowly before Steve attacks you.

What can I say about the band? We all worked really hard to do our best, and if we mess up a bit, what does it matter? It's live and I think we did pretty darn well for a live show. At least we didn't have any CDs playing and we were "air singing" or "air guitaring" to it. :D
Who do you think I'll be without you?

Peter the High King

Speaking of Perfection

Post by Peter the High King » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:09 pm

Apropos the Mayor's reference to perfection, who thinks that the most perfect part of the show was the first half of "Having caught a Glimpse"? It was spot-on. The whole hall took on a kind of glow, and when Susie hit her first notes, I literally swooned. (My friend actually grabbed my arm.) I can't remember the last time that I heard something so sublime.

--Peter the High King

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:35 pm

BTW, Bethany was also flawless.
Peter, do you mean "Through the Glass Darkly"? That's the one Susie sang lead on.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:37 pm

We had a great time. It was nice to have a few more faces to match the new names on the board, like SuperTed and his girlfriend, and BuckDharma. Nice to see a few faces that I know from the CProg yahoo group too. I know there were others that we never got to meet. We couldn't make it to the dinner on Friday, weren't in from the airport until almost 9 and I'm fighting a muscle spasm in my neck and shoulder, and had to crash from the travel, drugs, etc.

Great concert by both bands. Super debut by David/Shreddie! It WAS a little weird seeing Carl with GH after just seeing him with SH ... but such is life. I'm glad Matt stood up from time to time, otherwise we wouldn't have hardly seen him -- maybe he needs a booster seat ;) My only surprise was that, with all of those choir members, I couldn't hear them until partway into their last piece. What I could hear sounded good. It was odd for me in a backwards deja-vu kinda way.

I'm not even gonna try to list everyone already known that was seen, coz I know I'll leave someone out. We really enjoyed hanging out with Matt and his family later in the weekend.

I had to laugh at the 'Party In A Box' continuing jibe -- on the flights down and back, they handed out snacks on Southwest that had the caption, 'Party In A BAG' ... close enough!

Sorry there wasn't more visiting time after the show. I think there were several 'splinter groups' that formed though. I know we ended up back at the hotel and then were at Matt's until 4am! Still recovering ...

Greetings and congrats sent from Greg as well. Hope there's more than just this one-off -- after all that work!
April
http://progpalaceradio.com

Peter the High King

D'uh

Post by Peter the High King » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:47 pm

Yes, Steve, I meant "Through the Glass Darkly." Thanks for the correction. It was the song right before the brief break, for the film change.

--Peter the High King

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:49 pm

EIwing wrote:At least we didn't have any CDs playing and we were "air singing" or "air guitaring" to it. :D
Are you perchance referring to SH's "The Future Me," which starts off with a prerecorded track and then the bandmembers blend in and play along for a minute?

Peter the High King

Re: Bethany's remark and Rush

Post by Peter the High King » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:55 pm

I'll never forget seeing Rush on the "Hold Your Fire" tour and being shocked at how much was pre-recorded. I understand that Rush is a three-piece and that consequently, it is hard to reproduce studio tracks live, but I thought it cheap. (Heck, I just bought Gentle Giant's "Giant on the Box," and the number of instruments that they play in the course of a single concert is amazing.) I would have rather Rush had brought a few touring musicians with them to fill in, rather than do all of that pre-recording. Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, and Howe did on their first and only tour, and it was just fine.

--Peter the High King

pktheater
Amateur
Amateur

Post by pktheater » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:33 pm

johnc wrote:
EIwing wrote:At least we didn't have any CDs playing and we were "air singing" or "air guitaring" to it. :D
Are you perchance referring to SH's "The Future Me," which starts off with a prerecorded track and then the bandmembers blend in and play along for a minute?
I believe she is refering to the general state of pop music concerts these days.

In live shows there are mistakes. Those mistakes exist solely to remind us that the show is live, not pre-recorded. As good as Glass Hammer is, I wouldn't doubt they actually planned the "mistakes".

Seriously, it was a wonderful show. As an untrained heathen, I only heard one glitch in the entire show aside from a stubborn speaker/monitor that thought it was at a Jimi Hendricks concert. And Steve and Bethany were perfect. (Did... did I sell that well enough, Steve? I can maybe try it with more smile and less party line delivery.)
Where does one purchase a witty and apropos signature?

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Re: Bethany's remark and Rush

Post by johnc » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:56 pm

Peter the High King wrote:I'll never forget seeing Rush on the "Hold Your Fire" tour and being shocked at how much was pre-recorded. I understand that Rush is a three-piece and that consequently, it is hard to reproduce studio tracks live, but I thought it cheap. (Heck, I just bought Gentle Giant's "Giant on the Box," and the number of instruments that they play in the course of a single concert is amazing.) I would have rather Rush had brought a few touring musicians with them to fill in, rather than do all of that pre-recording. Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, and Howe did on their first and only tour, and it was just fine.

--Peter the High King
"Pre-recorded" isn't quite the right term, IMO. The bandmembers will use samples and loops from rackmounted sound modules, but Geddy Lee has gone on record as saying that none of those sounds are triggered by anyone other than the three bandmembers, and that keeps all the sounds generated, far as he is concerned, in the realm of performance. They go to a lot of trouble to avoid using supplemental musicians when they play out, because the majority of the fans in attendance, the ones who keep buying the CDs and concert tickets, expect a power trio.