Amazing Show!

November 2005 - Belmont University

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:46 pm

The concert was an amazing thing to be a part of.
Singing with the band and especially the other 2 girls is just downright fun. As much as I enjoy singing by myself, I don't think there's anything quite like finding harmonies with other people, and having them blend. Very satisfying!

Because GH feels l ike a family, GH concerts are always like big family reunions. You've got the dad keeping everyone in line (Steve, duh) all the brothers and sisters goofing off, and the uncle that makes you laugh, but everyone suspects is a little bit off his rocker (ha ha, just kidding CARL!) No really, Carl is hillarious. Actually, what made me laugh the most (and point, I think) was the beginning of Run Lisette, looking across the stage to the other side and seeing Eric backstage pretending to ride and whip a horse. It was a sight to behold.

Thanks to everyone for coming, it wouldn't have been a show at all without an audience, and to have such an appreciative, loyal, supportive one was a HUGE reward!

Thanks to the fellow who kept standing up and clapping at the end of the songs (sort of in the center section), and at the end of the set, very cool to see.

It was great meeting forum folks friday night and especially getting to know Superted and Edel-If I wind up going back to Ireland, I'll look you up!!

Also, Steph, always a pleasure to hang out, thanks for rallying a crowd for the coffee shop, and thanks for posting lyrics on your website because that's how I practiced. Ha ha.
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

Peter the High King

Standing Up and Shouting

Post by Peter the High King » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:14 pm

Hi Flo.

Er...that was me.

I'm sure others did it too, but I was smack in the center of the theater and was up and shouting at the end of every song and at the end of the set. I also wanted to shout during the songs, whenever Fred shot out a particularly tasty lick or when you guys hit especially gorgeous notes, but I restrained myself, since it didn't seem the "way of things." But, as I said in my first post, it's a ROCK SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stand up and SHOUT!

You were magnificent, as were the rest of the band. I had three students in tow for the conference and concerts, and they loved you guys too.

--Peter the High King

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:01 pm

That's awesome. Like I said before, thanks, it was pretty cool to see people so excited about the music. I'm glad I sort of "know" who you are now!
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:23 am

Oh man, I'm so sorry I was not able to attend. I am enjoying everyone's comments though and look forward to the DVD release. Sounds like a good time was had by all!
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

robjob

Re: Awesome show!

Post by robjob » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:15 pm

Venividi wrote:
Fred has to be the best multi-keyboardist on God's green earth!

As mentioned earlier: This was my first G.H. concert. It's been a week, and I'm still "Giddy". I do have to say that I wholeheartedely agree with Venividi. I'm a fool for that keyboard sound.

God Bless

Rob

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:33 pm

I don't know about God's Green Earth. I was the best multi-keyboardist on that part of the stage... :P (With Steve and Carl being the best keyboardists on their parts of the stage, repesctively)
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Elric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elric » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:47 am

I really think that after reading all these posts, you gotta quit thinking about what could have been better.

Everyone was great, it was awesome. Nuff said.....

I am looking forward to Chattanooga's show. Everywhere I go it seems I have tried to introduce them to the great local talent they have here.

I have went in to music stores and asked them to please start carrying them. It doesn't hurt to give them a hard time. Anyways, I hope to see lots of fans again in January.

Oh BTW RobJob, I can't help it if I am not allowed to sleep on the job where I work.......
Brent

Be kind to my mistakes, because I am not.....Kate Bush

Peter the High King

Elric

Post by Peter the High King » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:19 pm

Elric, not to be difficult, but if you don't think about how you might be better, how will you ever improve?

Even after I've published a scholarly article or given a paper at a conference, I think about how it might be better. That's how I become a better scholar, writer, speaker, etc...

--Peter the High King

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:14 pm

For musicians as passionate and consumate on their particular instruments-they will always strive to do better, and see the mistakes or shortcomings we never would notice. Look at perfectionists like Steve Howe, and Eric Johnson-they have taken it to an obsessive level at times-admittedly. I think the show was phenomenal-one of the best I've ever seen in any genre!!!Nuff Sais too for me, but the thing that really puts it into perspective here is the fact that GH is not a touring band=and puts on powerful performances like this with very little rehersal. I don't think anyone else could pull that off-even YES.Peace,David.

Elric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elric » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:44 pm

Well, I know bands will always strive to be better, but I have seen a lot of concerts, and see Alex Lifeson do something different in La Villa Strangiato (from what I recall) or see Steve Howe look over at the other guys in Yes and give a look like "what the heck are you all doing?".

For a performance like this, I said I wish I could have heard the ladies more, but that could be due to my hearing loss from hanging around friends that have their volume turned up to 11.....

You know who you are..... :twisted:
Brent

Be kind to my mistakes, because I am not.....Kate Bush

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:58 pm

Speaking for the band, I can tell you that discussing our flaws and mistakes in front of our friends isn't something we particularly enjoy. :bawling:

Of course, I haven't read any particular criticism that would really bother any of us - and as I've already pointed out - I was flawless. :roll: :wink:

Nevertheless, not our favorite subject. :cursing:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:48 pm

I agree. Yeah, there were mistakes (with the exception of Steve of course). So why do we want to nitpick about them? What's the point? *shrug* I'm just glad I got to be there. :)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:06 am

I know it must be hard being part of the forum that is discussing you're life's work and passion so openly. As my friend Robjob has mentioned before, that is one thing so appealing about you guys-that you are so approachable and genuine(but unfortunately that makes you vulnerable also). I am not a musician, so I am the last to objectively criticize somebody's musicianship. I f the music is well played,passionate,well-written and moves me-I like it. GH music does all of the above and more. And what inspires people like Rob,Brent,Steve, and I(even more) is that they're from our backyard and prove to the world that Tenesseans aren't just country bumpkins! You are like family to us-and we'll always support you!Peace,David(on behalf of the Chattanooga creepy nerds).

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:11 am

Oh yea-I do know who I am Elric! And I also know that being an Iron Maiden and Megadeath fan-you know all about volume at 11!!!!!!

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:23 pm

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

I can't wait to see the pictures!!!