Questions for GH - Submit here

November 2005 - Belmont University

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Questions for GH - Submit here

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:29 pm

Fred, Bethany, Susie, David Walliman and myself will all be video taping an interview a week from Saturday. The finished video will be a feature of the Bonus DVD we're currently working on.
We need some questions though. We need at least a few about the Belmont show, and a few more about whatever you're interested in.
What would you ask of us, and who would you ask?
Keep it reasonably serious, and submit your questions here or pm me.

If you participate and your questions actually appear on the DVD, we'll give you a credit!

Fire away...

8)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:32 pm

Steve/Fred: Being the core members of the band, how have each of you grown personally, and as friends and writers in the years GH has been around?

Everyone: What does a live performance bring to your music that studio recordings just cant? What is easier? What is harder?

Steve: I would really like to know more about The Lay, give us all the gory details not included!

Everyone: What can fans to to make your lives better? Whats the best way to spread the word about GH?
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:49 pm

How much does having direct contact with your biggest fans (mostly via forum) help you
progress?
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

Thimon
Professional
Professional

Post by Thimon » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:35 am

my entree...

To All:

about the making of the music:

Do you grasp a piece of paper write something down and make it or do you plan every move you make?

Do you write lyrics in one day or throughout the complete creation of the albums?

Do you fill in lyrics on the music or music on the lyrics to get it to the way you like?

How long did it take to do The knight (or any song) without mistakes or do you record part by part? (and how with lives?)

lives:

Whats the hardest song to do live you have made? (and the easiest)?

Where as band would you still like to do a live concert?

... more to come when I come up with questions
"Are you on the list?"
- Heroes

Aswepe

Post by Aswepe » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:22 pm

Rumpska wrote:
How much does having direct contact with your biggest fans (mostly via forum) help you
progress?
Of all the very good questions posed here, THIS is the one I would like to hear the answer to.
David

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:16 pm

I find it odd that something intelligent happened just because he wanted to make a bad pun. :roll:
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Aswepe

Post by Aswepe » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:05 pm

What do you have against bad puns???
David

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:57 pm

3 Questions for Fred & Steve, and one each for David and the girls:
Fred & Steve: I read somewhere that you involved the girls and Walter more in the rehersal and recording process for IS more than previously. Was this helpful or not? Did it help make it feel more like a band? 2)Who are some not some obvious musical influences(besides Yes,ELP,etc.), and maybe even contemporary influences,and along with that-who do you listen to that may surprise us.3)Was this the first time to play live with Salem Hill, and how was that experience? And can we expect to see this again, maybe in September? For the girls: I know from reading on the forum you like all kinds of music, is singing progressive music more difficult than say pop or folk? And how did you first meet the guys and become involved with GH. And for David? How did you first get involved with GH? thru the internet? And who were your influences growing up in France, and who do you listen to now, and who are your guitar heroes? Thanks,David.

pktheater
Amateur
Amateur

Post by pktheater » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:19 pm

These questions for whoever wishes to answer them:

When you were contacted to play a concert at scholarly conference for the works of C.S. Lewis, what went through your mind? What considerations did you make for this show that might not have been required for a show like NEARfest or a hometown show?

How long do you like to work with a new element -- the chorus or a new lead singer -- before a live preformance? How does that compare to intigrating a similar element into studio work?

Is there more Lewis for you to mine for now or are you looking forward to moving in new directions?

What sorts of challenges did adding the filming add to the show?

What makes you happiest when you think of Glass Hammer and your part of it?
Where does one purchase a witty and apropos signature?

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:01 pm

Aswepe wrote:What do you have against bad puns???
You remember in the Three Stoges, when someone said "Niagra Falls"?? That's Sam and puns. :D
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:41 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:I find it odd that something intelligent happened just because he wanted to make a bad pun. :roll:
Actually the pun came from the question, not visa versa.
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:16 am

Remember: There is no form of humour more low nor despicable than a pun when somebody else thinks of it before you do.

My question:

Being a band that originated in the studio, as opposed to playing live, seems to be looked down on in some circles as being an inferior way to create a band. What difference do you believe being a primarily studio band has made to you, and do you think you may have benefitted in any way by having started out as a live band?
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:56 am

1.) Some other writers of prog music are especially good at melodies (eg Jon Anderson). Some are especially good at structure (eg Robert Fripp).

Do either Fred or Steve feel that there are areas of composition, such as melody, rhythm, harmony, bass, counterpoint, form, soundworld in which they shine?

I'd love to be able to comprehend better which aspects of GH compositions come from which writer.

2.) What happens when you disagree about a compositional choice? :)

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:12 pm

Octavian wrote: 2.) What happens when you disagree about a compositional choice? :)
Oh, lol thats easy! Steve told me they have a complicated system of rock-paper-scissor matches, followed buy a 10-mile cross country race to a pair of remote-controlled aeroplanes that they fly into a glass window laying on its side by a barn. Who ever figures out how to turn lead into gold first, wins.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:06 pm

For the whole band:How much do you have to rehearse for a show since you don't do regular tours, and usually just do one show at a time? Does this put alot of pressure on you as opposed to those who do long tours and have time to iron out problems and tighten up their shows?