November 2005 - Belmont University

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

I GOT IT!!!! =)

Post by Bnielsen » Tue May 16, 2006 7:14 pm

My copy of Live at Belmont arrived today =p

Notes from first listen: Excellent sound mix- I can finally hear all of Fred's Harmonies! yay!

Video - Very crisp and well edited (I did notice a certian somone in the crowd totally going ballistic during Knight of the North when "And he DIIIIIIEEEED" is sung) :roll:

All the girls were great, Susie: you NAILED Through a Glass Darkly- shame they didn't include the 5 minutes of applause for you after it was over =p

Carl was great as lead singer- wonderful passion and great stage prescence, but I do miss Walter singing lead on One King

Fred: man, you really need to grow a second pair of hands: fantastic job though! (BTW, I can play the mellotron parts for ya at the next show 8) )

Matt: you crazy goofball of a drum player (wait, thats redundant!)

Steve: the master of the bass- watching the look on your face during Heroes and Dragons.... you know what I mean. Great playing, just wish you would have sung more! What accident? =)

David: Sheddy! =) I especially loved your softer more intracute work, especially when playing muted string or harmonics

Adonia Strings: GREAT sound form just 3 of you, awesome to have on stage

And don't think I forgot you mr. eirc parker =p You were all over that lap guitar baby! btw, my mom says hi =)

I haven't gotten a chance to hear it in 5.1 yet, or see the second CD, but thanks for the "Thanks" in the end, hehe my name in lights =p
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Sat May 20, 2006 12:03 am

My copy arrived this afternoon and when I got home it was the first thing I popped into the computer. I was only going to watch the first song and then get some work done, which is why it went in my laptop, but after the first track I couldn't stop until after Knight of the North. Then I turned it off and finished the work I needed to do. I really wish I had been at the show. Fantastic performances, and I haven't even finished the first disc yet! Very energetic, clear and precise playing. A couple first impressions:

Steve, I love your vocal on Knight of the North. Very strong and edgy. Really works live.

Love the girls' vocal work on this disc. Their voices blend well and support the music exceptionally well.

Carl Groves is a really good fit. I really like his work on this.

More to come after a second and complete viewing.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

Moog Taurus
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Moog Taurus » Sat May 20, 2006 6:37 am

I have had the DVD a week or so now and today I am up for the second viewing of the gig , and what a gig.
The sound is excellent though I am still trying to find the LFE channel , maybe my electronics are incorrectly set.
I will probably never experience GH live so this is a close second.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sat May 20, 2006 8:06 am

I just got to watch this on a friends 52" widescreen TV =)

He also had a 5.1 surround sound system hooked up to a Dolby Digital surround sound system.

I found that if your hardware supports it, the rear channels, and overal mix sounds best in Dolby Pro-Logic Mode 2 or something like that.
Last edited by Bnielsen on Sat May 20, 2006 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Nielsen

Moog Taurus
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Moog Taurus » Sat May 20, 2006 8:15 am

Well I cannot compete with those viewing dimensions but regarding the sound , to be honest the mix doesn't really need the subwoofer descrete channel , reconfiguring the bass management will do the job nicely I suspect .
I think concert DVDs don't benefit from the LFE channel like a movie anyway.

Prog Music's Frank
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prog Music's Frank » Sat May 20, 2006 11:59 am

We did not mis a discreet .1 channel. technically, it's more of a 5.0 mix. We assumed the way most people have their bass management set up it could divert info below 80Hz to the LFE automatically, but as you say in music there's no real need for a discreet channel- no bombs going off during the show! :D

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Sat May 20, 2006 12:24 pm

GOOOD NEWS!
Live at Belmont got a real good review in the new Eclipsed magazine and there was allso a small interview with Babb. Pretty funny somehow. I think this will help selling GH in the German speaking world. Be proud your DVD is really awsome good.
The world is smaller than you think!

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat May 20, 2006 2:17 pm

Bozo wrote:GOOOD NEWS!
Live at Belmont got a real good review in the new Eclipsed magazine and there was allso a small interview with Babb. Pretty funny somehow. I think this will help selling GH in the German speaking world. Be proud your DVD is really awsome good.

Hmmm... in what way is it funny?
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Sat May 20, 2006 2:30 pm

Well it left open if your the gretest progband in the world or not. It was funny in an positive way so don´t worry.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat May 20, 2006 5:41 pm

Bozo wrote:Well it left open if your the gretest progband in the world or not. It was funny in an positive way so don´t worry.
Ah, you mean that's still up for debate! :lol:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Sun May 21, 2006 3:59 am

For us not but there are still some native folks living in deep forests that haven´t heard all about civilazation yet.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun May 21, 2006 10:52 pm

Aaaaaahhhhh.... 8)

That, my friends, is the sound of satisfaction. Just finished watching the DVD and some of the special features...

I don't really have that much of intelligence to say - it's all been said. Strings were awesome, Shreddy is incredible, editing is crisp and superb, and... wow. Having Caught a Glimpse was so majestic and stately, as it should be - it didn't always make sense to me on the album, but here I had chills for almost the whole time. More so than Lex Live I thought that this had a real presence and intensity to the performance - very powerful indeed. Almost like I was there again.

Good show. I will be watching this again. Soon.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:11 pm

Finally own Live at Belmont!

Awesome. Just completely awesome. It's amazing to see Steve and Fred actually pull off a giant like Knight of the North live!
The choir was amazing! :shock: And Fred looked like a musical mad scientist with all of those keyboards . . . . :twisted:
Carl Groves actually wasn't a bad substitute for Walter, although it was kinda hard to get used to his hand movements . . . :P

And I missed being there! *howl of frustration* But the DVD was a very welcome alternative to seeing it live. :D

Prog Music's Frank
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prog Music's Frank » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:47 pm

You have another chance coming you know :D
[img]http://static.flickr.com/1/652239_be4b7aa3e3_m.jpg[/img]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:52 pm

If anyone is *close* to being able to make me, but it being stopped by money, and $50-$100 makes the difference, please PM me privately.
Brian Nielsen