Pittsburgh, PA - Summer of 2009

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Glass Hammer Live in 2009

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:38 pm

Details soon....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Glass Hammer Live in 2009

Post by esteban » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:33 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:Details soon....
WHOOP!
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:01 am

Mr. Mayor,

I vow to not miss this event for any reason, on pain of death.

=)
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:03 am

Whaaa? Where? Come to Chicago!
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:47 am

Here's the latest - PE members can post to the announcement on Progressive Ears as of now. 'Tis Official...

Glass Hammer at 3RP (Three Rivers Prog Festival - Pittsburgh)

With the new announcement of Glass Hammer to perform at
3RP 2009, you are starting to see the developement of the lineup.
5 bands so far announced out of the 10 slots.
Phideaux, Edensong, Singularity, Syzygy, and Glass Hammer.
We have not even announced any Headliners or Co-headliners yet,
some of those will be coming along shortly.
It is going to be a great weekend of music. What a Line Up,
3RP is planning on having.

Regards,
Howard
3RP 2009 - August 8-9,2009
www.3rprogfest.com
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:53 am

Unbelievable!!!!!Play lots of COA!!!!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

widowspeak
Amateur
Amateur

Post by widowspeak » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:22 pm

I will be there. The 1st one was amazing with Neal Morse & Spock's Beard. Great news Steve & Fred !!!

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:16 pm

Awesome news, and it just may get me to Pittsburgh! I've been wanting to attend more than one festival -Nearfest is a given for me. I really want to see Syzygy, so adding GH makes this difficult to pass up. It all depends on my health, we shall see.
And now for something completly different

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:03 pm

Oh, excellent!

This one is certainly within driving distance =p

I'll be there!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

rufusboy

Post by rufusboy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:25 pm

Great news! Since it is a somewhat remote show for band members, will it be a more bare bones lineup or will we get the full complement of singers & stringers?

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:25 pm

rufusboy wrote:Great news! Since it is a somewhat remote show for band members, will it be a more bare bones lineup or will we get the full complement of singers & stringers?
We will be adjusting the lineup a good bit. Its going to be me, Fred, Matt, David and Robert Streets as our new singer.
If you've heard the Porpoise Song on our snocap downloads - that's him. He sang the part of "David" on our David and Goliath album, sang backups on Lex Rex, and produced the vocals on Culture of Ascent. He, Fred and I have been working together for around 10 years, and he introduced us to Matt Mendians.
Then too, he and I shared a band and toured the states for months back in the 80's.
To be clear, no one has been dismissed from the GH family - Carl will still be working with us. The string players are playing on at least one upcoming project, and Susie is singing lead on my 'solo' project.
We'll get some more info up soon. Just know these changes are done with Carl and Susie's blessings. Its going to be a different GH though :)
Steve

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:34 pm

So I've given considerable thought to the problem posed in your podcast, and I just want you to know that I have come up with a brilliant solution. The Anglo-Saxon Beowulf epic album won't work - you missed the clever marketing tie in to the new Beowulf movie, when people were ready to eat up that Anglo-Saxon crap... but now that ship has sailed. But that's ok - we'll get you a new plan. You don't need your marketing people, just listen to me.

The problem: How do we top ridiculous numbers of choirs singing simultaneous languages (of various degrees of existence: dead, imaginary, modern...) on stage for a live performance? What can we possibly do to impress our fans now?

The solution: Live elephants.

Here's what you're going to do.

You're going to write an epic on Hannibal. You're going to write it in ancient Latin. I can help out, but it's going to be great, like, a rival to Virgil. They'll start reading it in poetry form in high school English classes. You've already covered the Odyssey, so that's a natural next step. As for movie tie ins, well, HANNIBAL? Yeah. I know it has nothing to do with the ancient Carthaginian, but Americans are stupid. No one will notice. They'll just look for Anthony Hopkins.

THEN, you're going to go on a Safari to capture some elephants. You may have to smuggle them out of the country - I've never smuggled an elephant before, but you're clever - you can handle it.

Now, I know what you're thinking. "But, Stephanie, how on EARTH are we going to convince the ProgSnobs to buy an epic album on Hannibal in classical Latin?!! There's no way!!"

But, no, not just progsnobs, but ANY form of Indie freak will LOVE your album. You wanna know why?

The elephants.

These are no ORDINARY elephants, just there for decoration - someone already posted the clip of elephants painting, but check it out. You are going to have Elephant Solos on every song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uVRdZmT ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBlFdZHo ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOYVe53f ... re=related

Dude, ProgSnobs would EAT THAT UP!!! So would hippies and hipsters and green peace and elephant lovers and scientists.

I'm telling you. Live elephants. Don't disappoint me.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

widowspeak
Amateur
Amateur

Post by widowspeak » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:40 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:
rufusboy wrote:Great news! Since it is a somewhat remote show for band members, will it be a more bare bones lineup or will we get the full complement of singers & stringers?
We will be adjusting the lineup a good bit. Its going to be me, Fred, Matt, David and Robert Streets as our new singer.
If you've heard the Porpoise Song on our snocap downloads - that's him. He sang the part of "David" on our David and Goliath album, sang backups on Lex Rex, and produced the vocals on Culture of Ascent. He, Fred and I have been working together for around 10 years, and he introduced us to Matt Mendians.
Then too, he and I shared a band and toured the states for months back in the 80's.
To be clear, no one has been dismissed from the GH family - Carl will still be working with us. The string players are playing on at least one upcoming project, and Susie is singing lead on my 'solo' project.
We'll get some more info up soon. Just know these changes are done with Carl and Susie's blessings. Its going to be a different GH though :)
Steve
Oh wow !!! No Carl on vocals anymore. I wasn't expecting that one.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:06 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:
I'm telling you. Live elephants. Don't disappoint me.
This has merit. It shall be studied.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:32 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:So I've given considerable thought to the problem posed in your podcast, and I just want you to know that I have come up with a brilliant solution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uVRdZmT ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBlFdZHo ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOYVe53f ... re=related

You may be right. The elephants are capable of playing music that sounds a good deal lilke the stuff that prog-snobs already enjoy. As for the 'indie-crowd' - we could just pretend to free the exploited pacaderms at the end of the show.