Introduce yourself!

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:21 pm

Oh my gosh!!! I totally know that person!!!! Hi Osaka!!!! Remember me??? Stephanie?

Actually, I am at home right now, bumming around and doing nothing. And I always lurk the forum. Just... school keeps me busy. And I have lost the urge to incessently comment when I have nothing in particular to say.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:47 pm

FredProgGH wrote:Actually, I left out the "k" :P :D

Ooo, that too.

The Hollowman

Post by The Hollowman » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:28 pm

Just wanted to pop in and say 'hello'. Got into Glass Hammer's music about 4 years ago. Along with Glass Hammer, I enjoy the usuals (Genesis, Yes, Marillion, IQ, Rush, Porcupine Tree, Pendragon, Pink Floyd). Additionally, I enjoy everything that Neal Morse is involved with.

A little bit about myself--I'm 40 years old, married for 7 1/2 years, and have a daughter who will be 5 in February. I'm not really the adventurous type. I enjoy time with my wife and daughter, cooking, watching prog DVD's, taking day trips, and just taking life easy.

Professionally, I've been an art director for about 13 years. I even had the privilege to work with the legendary Hugh Syme a few months ago and he was kind enough to provide us with backstage passes to the Rush concert here in Kansas City in August. Got to meet Geddy and Alex, which was a tremendous thrill.

Glass Hammer related--my favorite disc is Shadowlands; however, I did receive Culture Of Ascents yesterday and upon first listen it could possibly rival Shadowlands. Just an absolute stunner.

I think what really draws me to Glass Hammer's music is Suzie Bogdanowicz. I just think she adds such a beautiful touch to Glass Hammer and love her spirit. She has such a glow about her.

Hope everyone is doing well. My drink is getting low, but it's awfully warm here by the hearth.

E
We're tin hard, and we rattle when we're shaken

Caranthir Telemnar

Post by Caranthir Telemnar » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:28 pm

Hi everyone! Glad to see a forum that celebrates GH and prog in general. I love all music, but prog is the one which I love the most.
As a kid, I was listening to your standard Kiss/Foghat/Ted Nugent stuff (I think I just gave away my approximate age!) and then, through happenstance, I heard 'Watcher of the Skies' by Genesis, and 'Heart of the Sunrise' by Yes in the same day. Changed my life. It inspired my guitar playing, my writing and my love for more challenging music. Just thought I'd drop in and say hello and I hope to chat with all of you. Thanks for listening!
Amin n'rangwa edanea

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:52 pm

Hi! I'm Filipe (or The Marsh-Wiggle Quester), 18 years old and 3 beeing a Hammerhead that I discovered with "Shadowlands" and fell in love with "LEX REX".

I'm brazilian, and I play acoustic guitar in my church, while my sister plays the piano, maybe a band will pop-out next year...=). I love progressive music and label it as 'my sound for the head and for the soul'. I'm a addicted reader of all kinds of books, specially sci-fi and fantasy, form Arthur C. Clarke to C.S.Lewis, from Douglas Adams to J.R.R. Tolkien, from Agatha Christie to Sir A. Conan Doyle.

Proud to be here and share toughts with all the hammerheads.
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:22 pm

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester wrote:Hi! I'm Filipe (or The Marsh-Wiggle Quester), 18 years old and 3 beeing a Hammerhead that I discovered with "Shadowlands" and fell in love with "LEX REX".

I'm brazilian, and I play acoustic guitar in my church, while my sister plays the piano, maybe a band will pop-out next year...=). I love progressive music and label it as 'my sound for the head and for the soul'. I'm a addicted reader of all kinds of books, specially sci-fi and fantasy, form Arthur C. Clarke to C.S.Lewis, from Douglas Adams to J.R.R. Tolkien, from Agatha Christie to Sir A. Conan Doyle.

Proud to be here and share toughts with all the hammerheads.
Welcome to the forum! Here we will amaze you with wit and wisdom. <g> Fred and I (Steve) are usually checking in so ask a question if you've got one - or just talk to our friends :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Physicist » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:13 am

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester wrote: I'm brazilian
Bom dia! You come from a land of wonderful music. Have you heard Gal Costa (may be to old for you)?
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:31 pm

Physicist wrote:
TheMarsh-WiggleQuester wrote: I'm brazilian
Bom dia! You come from a land of wonderful music. Have you heard Gal Costa (may be to old for you)?
Bom dia para você também [Good morning to you too! =)]! Of course I know Gal Costa but never get deep in her music cause even tough I'm brazilian and don't identify myself to much with the tropical music, especially MPB [Música Popular Brasileira, Brazilian Pop Music]. I born listening to the old LP's of my father of hard rock christian bands like Petra, Stryper and Guardian, so you can say that my music school started with rock 'n roll and evolved to progressive rock, with bands like Pink Floyd, Yes, Spock's Beard, that I started to hear few years ago.

But is always a pleasure to hear that people love our country and culture, and we love it too, but speaking for myself and about music I've always listened more of overseas tunes! =) Thanks Physicist!

Thanks very much Steve for your welcoming toughts, I repeat I feel very proud [but not the bad pride, quoting "Jack"...].

Godspeed for all!
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

shanocles
Amateur
Amateur

Post by shanocles » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:01 am

Hi. i'm shane. i'm turning 30 soon, my wife alison and i are expecting our first child in 3 weeks!! life is gonna change for sure. i'm a believer in Jesus Christ. i'm a registered nurse. i play drums firstly and guitar 2nd. play at church and jam with friends. i live in south australia, in a suburb called happy valley - and we all are. enjoy cycling and walks with my lovely lady. i love old cars - have a '69 fairlane. i love prog - duh! let me see ... i started off with the old classic rock stuff of ledzep and deep purple, who and doors, then i got into prog through DT, then onto spocks/flowerkings, then the ol' favs genesis, yes, KC, VDGG, jethro tull, kansas, focus, (i'm sure i've missed many) then i got into italian prog which is a personal fav for me (got no idea what they're saying). then i started coming back to the neo prog era and stumbled across GH! thank the Lord! i love lex rex soooo much, and really dig the belmont dvd. i have a few salem hill cd's so when i saw that carl was joining GH i was totally excited - then COA came out and that got some serious play time in the ol' car.
nobody knows much about prog here in australia (they're missing out heaps huh!) ... i just say its what we're all going to be listening to in heaven (hehe) can you imagine the angelic choir!! not unlike the choir on the new dvd - job well done there.

tomorrow night is prog night at my house ... pizza's, prog LOUD (much to my wife's frustration) and we watch dvd's (only 3 of us, my bro-in-law (killer guitarist) and a mate who also plays guitar and can appreciate good music). so 2moro night we're gonna crank up the tivoli dvd and sit back and relax ... prob be the last prog nite for a while with baby soon.

anyways ... thats a lil' about me - glad to be a part of this forum and look forward to chatting with ya'll.
If left is wrong I don't wanna be right...

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:08 am

shanocles wrote: tomorrow night is prog night at my house ... pizza's, prog LOUD (much to my wife's frustration) and we watch dvd's (only 3 of us, my bro-in-law (killer guitarist) and a mate who also plays guitar and can appreciate good music). so 2moro night we're gonna crank up the tivoli dvd and sit back and relax ... prob be the last prog nite for a while with baby soon.

Hey Shane,
Thanks for the intro. Enjoy you're last prog-night. There will soon be a new kind of noise in the house. We have hardly listened to music (in the house) since our boy was born - nearly 7 years ago!
Hope you like the DVD...
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

rufusboy

Post by rufusboy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:22 pm

Heh - my kids had to get used to my music playing constantly - they call it "Dad music" and have come to like some of it.
My son's (age 16) best-liked thing about Glass Hammer? Fred's Tasmanian Devil T-shirt in the Belmont DVD. Oh well...

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Physicist » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:52 pm

shanocles wrote:... prob be the last prog nite for a while with baby soon.
G'day. It will be a while, but have patience. My kids (four) grew up with prog in the house (except for breaks when the kids were infants). My oldest just turned 30 and he is a serious progger. If there is anything better than enjoying prog music, its enjoying it with your adult son...
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

shanocles
Amateur
Amateur

Post by shanocles » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:00 pm

Physicist wrote:
shanocles wrote:... prob be the last prog nite for a while with baby soon.
G'day. It will be a while, but have patience. My kids (four) grew up with prog in the house (except for breaks when the kids were infants). My oldest just turned 30 and he is a serious progger. If there is anything better than enjoying prog music, its enjoying it with your adult son...
that would be cool! proggin out with ya son ... just goin for a cruise or something. nice :)

shanocles
Amateur
Amateur

Post by shanocles » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:07 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:Hey Shane,
Thanks for the intro. Enjoy you're last prog-night. There will soon be a new kind of noise in the house. We have hardly listened to music (in the house) since our boy was born - nearly 7 years ago!
Hope you like the DVD...
Steve
what! .........7 years!!!
you gotta be kidding man.
actually most of my listening is done with the ol' headphones these days.

and on the dvd ....
i love it, watched it twice in full now but the guys i had round can't get past the keyboards (what they call cheesy synths), they're not really proggers though! i love those crazy clavinet samples fred!
btw, having caught a glimpse rocks on this new dvd!

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:00 pm

Yoooooo!!!!

Japes here, your friendly fan, JP, who has been here since the beginning (as of now the beginning of GH is late summer of '08 for all intensive purposes).

I'm a freshie in high school, and begun Quenya (I have since lost the papers which I printed with the school library's ink, so it MAY be a while 'till I get back to it).

I absolutely love Lord of the Rings (All of Tolkien's work, really) and Star Wars, though the newer releases suffer from terrible dialogue.

I currently own Chronomotree, Lex Rex, Shadowlands, The Inconsolable Secret, Culture of Ascent, Live at Nearfest, and the Live at Belmont soundtrack. (I'm currently looking into purchasing Live at the Tivoli).

I'd love to eventually own all GH albums, but after spending all my money to get my brother's old iMac but $22.67, a $15 Wal-Mart gift card, $3.20 in pocket change (I had $3.21 earlier today but someone stole my penny in the locker room D=), and $3.01 in iTunes credit, and being a very wary buyer, I'm looking into any suggestions (it seems that GH isn't as popular as the, quote, "best band ever," appears to be in Steve and Fred's most recent interviews, lol).

Anywho, I'm goin' in, so over and out, okeeday?
krrrzrrt-brzrrrt
click.

:)
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.