Introduce yourself!

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:04 pm

Japes wrote:Yoooooo!!!!

Japes here, your friendly fan, JP, who has been here since the beginning (as of now the beginning of GH is late summer of '08 for all intensive purposes).

I'm a freshie in high school, and begun Quenya (I have since lost the papers which I printed with the school library's ink, so it MAY be a while 'till I get back to it).

I absolutely love Lord of the Rings (All of Tolkien's work, really) and Star Wars, though the newer releases suffer from terrible dialogue.

I currently own Chronomotree, Lex Rex, Shadowlands, The Inconsolable Secret, Culture of Ascent, Live at Nearfest, and the Live at Belmont soundtrack. (I'm currently looking into purchasing Live at the Tivoli).

I'd love to eventually own all GH albums, but after spending all my money to get my brother's old iMac but $22.67, a $15 Wal-Mart gift card, $3.20 in pocket change (I had $3.21 earlier today but someone stole my penny in the locker room D=), and $3.01 in iTunes credit, and being a very wary buyer, I'm looking into any suggestions (it seems that GH isn't as popular as the, quote, "best band ever," appears to be in Steve and Fred's most recent interviews, lol).

Anywho, I'm goin' in, so over and out, okeeday?
krrrzrrt-brzrrrt
click.

:)
Welcome aboard. Someone make some decent suggestions to this man as to what to do next. :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

rufusboy

Post by rufusboy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Sell your hair and buy all the DVDs.

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:24 pm

rufusboy wrote:Sell your hair and buy all the DVDs.
If only I were Goldilox... :'(
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:16 pm

I think you have the best albums taken care of. But On to Evermore is a classic too. Oh, and at some point, you should use part of that 3.01 iTunes amount to buy the Compilation album, ALL for the sake of In the Court of Alikinoos. It is an AWESOME song.

Also, as a lover of Tolkien and Quenya, I can say you are in good company. Mae govannen.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:35 pm

The next albums I buy will most likely all be via iTunes, so whether it's The Compilations or On To Evermore,, there's little difference. What I'm REALLY trying to decide at this point is what to do with the $15 at Wal-Mart. I could use that to buy a $15 iTunes (or towards a $25) or sell it to my parents to order Tivoli on Amazon.
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:03 pm

If it were me, *I* would totally get The Comps before On 2 Evermore. I'm never one to discourage someone from being a completist but even we don't pay a lot of attention to anything we did before Chronometree. We probably like Perelandra the best of the early stuff. Of course, that being said, OTE does have its fans...
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:20 pm

That's an interesting comment about the early albums. OTE is an album that I don't listen to much, but I get the same reaction, that it's better than I remember. It was my first GH purchase, I bought it when it was just released. I listened and thought it was a band with good potential. Turns out I was right of course! I kind of consider the first 3 albums to be hit or miss, but there is definitely a nice chunk of music here worthy of the GH name, I'm happy I own these.
And now for something completly different

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:30 pm

yanks07 wrote:That's an interesting comment about the early albums. OTE is an album that I don't listen to much, but I get the same reaction, that it's better than I remember. It was my first GH purchase, I bought it when it was just released. I listened and thought it was a band with good potential. Turns out I was right of course! I kind of consider the first 3 albums to be hit or miss, but there is definitely a nice chunk of music here worthy of the GH name, I'm happy I own these.
OTE is kind of the culmination of the "we don't know what we're doing - lets just do something" albums. If you take all the early albums - there are certainly gems. Journey is probably the weakest - but we truly had no idea anyone would ever actually hear it or want it. And for 93 - it was kinda cool. By 95, there was a lot more prog available to compare it to. But it still has moments - though I'm not sure I could name them. <g>
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

asbury

Post by asbury » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:02 am

I've posted a few times already, so I thought I'd introduce myself...

My name is Mark and I've been enjoying GH and prog in general for the past 4 years or so. I can't say my wife enjoys it as much as I do, but she does have to admit it's "better than all that music I used to listen to." :D

We have two young girls who are being exposed to quality music early and often.

I'm a computer scientist, which means that GH has been my soundtrack for lots of software development and classwork.

Anyway, it's fun to be a part of the community here. I hope to meet many of you in at 3RP this year.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:17 pm

Welcome to the forum Mark!

Poke around in all the old bits, and ask lots of questions!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

NelStone
Amateur
Amateur

Post by NelStone » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:11 pm

NelStone here. Hello!

A year or more back, I was browsing iTunes for Dream Theater stuff, which led me to an iTunes only album called Modern Prog. Dream Theater was in the album, but I decided to listen to the rest to see if it'd introduce me to any other cool bands, and that's when I heard Glass Hammer's rendition of "Longer". Absolutely loved it. I've only had Lex Rex and Culture Of Ascent for the majority of the time but someone was kind enough to order me the majority of the GH discography last Christmas. I'm glad too, because now TIS is suddenly sold out, heh. All I need now is Perelandra, a physical copy of Lex Rex, and The Compilations.

So that's my story. Hello to an underrated, all-kinds-of-awesome band!

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:19 pm

Welcome to the forums Nel!

We always welcome fresh faces - stir up old posts, in any section, ask lots of questions - and the guys in the band don't bite!
Brian Nielsen

NelStone
Amateur
Amateur

Post by NelStone » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:21 pm

Bnielsen wrote:Welcome to the forums Nel!

We always welcome fresh faces - stir up old posts, in any section, ask lots of questions - and the guys in the band don't bite!
Thanks!

This is probably the only forum where I actually seem to be encouraged to bump up old topics, lol.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:02 pm

The more you bump, the better! You should especially try and find the old 'count down' threads for the LoTR movies...

lol

that and word association :roll:
Brian Nielsen

aswas

Post by aswas » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:55 pm

Aswas here,

Just wanted to say hey and introduce myself. I have been following Glass Hammer for several years. I learned about GH from the Neal Morse Website, and I am so so glad I did. They are the best in my book, in so many ways. Their approach to prog, the talent, the professionalism, the Spirit, their God and their Families, just scratches the surface. The continuous unbelievable epics they turn out just amazes me. I have all their CD's and DVD's, and can't wait for the next adventure. Thanks
seasons will pass you by..I get up..I get down