Musical Suggestions? (as well as others)

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Musical Suggestions? (as well as others)

Post by Japes » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:02 am

Hey everyone! I've posted here before, but I'd like to reiterate how big of a fan I am of GH (I definitely think of myself as a Glass Head), and I really value everyone's opinions here. So, to get to the point, after a good while of off-tracking from music to videogames (not a good idea, though I still play in moderation), I've finally returned to the world of prog and fragile tools. Now that my money is no longer invested in time-wasting, I'd like to start turning it towards increasing my music collection. For the most part I've gotten all of my suggestions from my brother, who got me started on Glass Hammer. Right now, the most albums of a single artist I own are Glass Hammer's, but in addition to that I have a couple Dream Theater, Symphony X, Kansas, Yes, and Neal Morse albums, as well as an ELP "Best Of," and Spock's Beard's Snow (I'm considering purchasing a post-Neal slbum, though I still can't decide). I think I've narrowed my tastes down mainly to progressive-metal, as well as more orchestral prog (like a lot of GH), as well rock organs. Right now my next purchases will probably be Fred's solo album and Glass Hammer's older stuff. FINALLY, down to the ultimate question!

Does anyone have any suggestions of music I could look into, I'm just so overwhelmed with everything out there, even within the prog genre?

Also, and hopefully this abides with your forum policies, I'd also like to ask about what people think of the post-Neal Spock's Beard, as well as any good science fiction/fantasy novels to read (perhaps CS Lewis' Space Trilogy?)

Wow, that was longer than suggested, but thanks ahead of time to any replies :)
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:52 am

If you want to here something new and at the same time with a classic feel of the prog of the 70's I humbly recommend The Flower Kings. They rock hardly too!

If you get any album from them, from the first to the last, just like GH, you'll find very good stuff that really hooks up. You can check on youtube some of their music. Their last album "The Sum of No Evil" has very good epics. Roine Stolt guitar and lyrics are good too [they tend to make even more sense than Neal Morse's lyrics on SB albuns before Snow, and his convertion]. Of course they share themes about christianity and transcendental aproaching, but you can check it out with no fear.

In the sound you'll find awesome guitar work, as well lots of keyboard freakness. If you listened to Transatlantic, is just easier to imagine TFK is Transatlantic without Neal Morse....or I'm just exagerating.

Anyway, this is my suggestion.

Godspeed!
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:25 pm

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester wrote:If you want to here something new and at the same time with a classic feel of the prog of the 70's I humbly recommend The Flower Kings. They rock hardly too!

If you get any album from them, from the first to the last, just like GH, you'll find very good stuff that really hooks up. You can check on youtube some of their music. Their last album "The Sum of No Evil" has very good epics. Roine Stolt guitar and lyrics are good too [they tend to make even more sense than Neal Morse's lyrics on SB albuns before Snow, and his convertion]. Of course they share themes about christianity and transcendental aproaching, but you can check it out with no fear.

In the sound you'll find awesome guitar work, as well lots of keyboard freakness. If you listened to Transatlantic, is just easier to imagine TFK is Transatlantic without Neal Morse....or I'm just exagerating.

Godspeed!
Thanks so much for the suggestion! I'm on Progarchives right now, listening to their samples, and from the first few seconds of "Big Puzzle" I already have a good feeling about it. I'm gonna check them out some more, but I think you may have just given me another favorite artist! =D

God bless!
-Japes
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:05 pm

Japes wrote:
TheMarsh-WiggleQuester wrote:If you want to here something new and at the same time with a classic feel of the prog of the 70's I humbly recommend The Flower Kings. They rock hardly too!

Godspeed!
Thanks so much for the suggestion! I'm on Progarchives right now, listening to their samples, and from the first few seconds of "Big Puzzle" I already have a good feeling about it. I'm gonna check them out some more, but I think you may have just given me another favorite artist! =D

God bless!
-Japes
And this is only their last track from the first album. They have 3 double albums, and one of the biggest epics of all time [at least for now, we can expect everything from Babb&Schendel...] called Garden of Dreams from the Flower Power album. Don't forget to check out the youtube videos!

Godspeed!
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:16 pm

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester wrote:
Japes wrote:

Godspeed!

God bless!
-Japes
And this is only their last track from the first album. They have 3 double albums, and one of the biggest epics of all time [at least for now, we can expect everything from Babb&Schendel...] called Garden of Dreams from the Flower Power album. Don't forget to check out the youtube videos!

Godspeed!
I sure will, oh, and my brother just gave me Spock's Beard's newest album, and I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but I really enjoyed the first track.

Oh, and if it helps with future suggestions, for the most part I think I've narrowed my tastes down to an ELP/Glass Hammer/organ sound, a Dream Theater/Symphony X/(some Neal Morse and Spock's Beard)/metal sound, a Spock's Beard/pop sound (probably what I enjoy the least out of my favorites "sounds," though I still love listening to it, it's just relative to all the others' epicness) and a Kansas/Neal Morse/Glass Hammer/(sometimes Symphony X and Dream Theater)/orchestral sound. So I would say that those are probably my four favorite types of prog, and thus music in general, if this helps with suggestions at all.

Anywho, if I buy a Flower Kings album soon, it will probably be Stardust We Are, though I don't know yet (I don't like spending money on a whim). I'll continue looking into it.

=) God Bless

EDIT:
In addition, I find that I haven't enjoyed much of the 70s prog (excluding SOME Yes, and just about ALL Kansas and ELP), if that helps show my taste a bit. I'm still having a really hard time nailing down quite what I like and don't like... Oh, one more thing, good vocal harmonies and good synthesizers pwn face!

(Sorry this is getting really long, but thanks ahead of time to anyone who gives input, and to TheMarsh-WiggleQuester for your help!)

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:24 pm

If you can track it down give UK's Danger Money a shot. A bit ELP-esque with lots of organ but more synth as well, good vocals and electric violin instead of guitar! It's mostly a pretty heavy album too for being a keyboard driven album. Skip the 1st UK album for now; it's great IMO but a bit more jazzy. Although it does have the great Alan Holdsworth shedding on guitar so you might dig it.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:38 pm

FredProgGH wrote:If you can track it down give UK's Danger Money a shot. A bit ELP-esque with lots of organ but more synth as well, good vocals and electric violin instead of guitar! It's mostly a pretty heavy album too for being a keyboard driven album. Skip the 1st UK album for now; it's great IMO but a bit more jazzy. Although it does have the great Alan Holdsworth shedding on guitar so you might dig it.
Well, if it IS jazzy I probably WILL "dig it." I've gotten into a bit of Spyro Gyra and Dave Matthews (maybe some Dave Weckl) lately.

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Physicist » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:48 pm

Japes wrote:Anywho, if I buy a Flower Kings album soon, it will probably be Stardust We Are, though I don't know yet (I don't like spending money on a whim). I'll continue looking into it.
You really can't go wrong with Stardust We Are. If you haven't found Retropolis, it is well worth a listen. The music on it really does go back to the 70s...
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:04 am

Japes wrote:
FredProgGH wrote:If you can track it down give UK's Danger Money a shot. A bit ELP-esque with lots of organ but more synth as well, good vocals and electric violin instead of guitar! It's mostly a pretty heavy album too for being a keyboard driven album. Skip the 1st UK album for now; it's great IMO but a bit more jazzy. Although it does have the great Alan Holdsworth shedding on guitar so you might dig it.
Well, if it IS jazzy I probably WILL "dig it." I've gotten into a bit of Spyro Gyra and Dave Matthews (maybe some Dave Weckl) lately.
Ah well- then check it out and also look into the Bruford solo albums One Of A Kind and Gradually Going Tornado, which were big influences on my album.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:36 am

Camel - "Moon Madness" - one of my favorites.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:34 pm

From what I've heard of Camel, they just didn't have enough... I don't know... "oomph" for my tastes, though perhaps that's just what I heard. Oh, I DID just buy SMPT:e today, and I am thoroughly enjoying! (All I had before was Mystery Train, because FYE's listening previews were wrong and played all of the other songs as dance music D=). Unfortunately FYE didn't have UK, The Flower Kings, or Gentle Giant!!!
Last edited by Japes on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:28 pm

Physicist wrote:
Japes wrote:Anywho, if I buy a Flower Kings album soon, it will probably be Stardust We Are, though I don't know yet (I don't like spending money on a whim). I'll continue looking into it.
You really can't go wrong with Stardust We Are. If you haven't found Retropolis, it is well worth a listen. The music on it really does go back to the 70s...
That's real truth! :wink:

Retropolis is the first with instrumental tracks sandwiched in the album of TFK discography, a thing that is they trademark except for The Sum of No Evil. I really like Adam & Eve [a little more "heavy"] mostly for "Love Supreme" that is very Yes-like.

I will check out the other bands mentioned in the post, and maybe give one second chance to Camel that I never really get into.
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Physicist » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:08 pm

Japes wrote:From what I've heard of Camel, they just didn't have enough... I don't know... "oomph" for my tastes, though perhaps that's just what I heard.
That is a fair statement. Having said that, you might be intrigued by Camel's Stationary Traveller. It is a concept album about the people who tried to escape East Germany through Berlin, a very dangerous undertaking under the best of conditions. The title song is an instrumental anchored by some nicely distorted guitar.
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:48 pm

Physicist wrote:
Japes wrote:From what I've heard of Camel, they just didn't have enough... I don't know... "oomph" for my tastes, though perhaps that's just what I heard.
That is a fair statement. Having said that, you might be intrigued by Camel's Stationary Traveller. It is a concept album about the people who tried to escape East Germany through Berlin, a very dangerous undertaking under the best of conditions. The title song is an instrumental anchored by some nicely distorted guitar.
Thanks, I'll check it out. My brother just gave me some Dream Theater, Symphony X, and newer Spock's Beard albums I'm going to start familiarizing my self with now, though. I'm gonna have quite a long Christmas list come December!

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:00 pm

Just bought The Ten Toes of Trurl and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I also added the Glass Hammer THEN bundle to my Christmas list, as well as the Adventure Pack and MANY other non-Glassy albums. It'll be a long wait for them, but I think it's going to be a good Christmas this year, if I can stand not buying anything until then.

PS, sorry for the double post