7%

Total votes: 54

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Japes wrote:
TheMarsh-WiggleQuester wrote:
Sam Gamgee wrote:Ha! Nicely done, Marsh-WiggleQuester. In tengwar and everything? Very nice!! Five billion Geek Points to you, and your girlfriend, who is apparently awesome on SEVERAL accounts by now. She's a keeper.

Japes.... we're just crazy. That's all. Although I am years past my Tolkien prime. I think my Tolkien Prime is faithfully preserved, though, in the bedrock layers of this forum somewhere. Ha, I got in an epic argument with Flo's husband, who is also a crazy Tolkienite. Detailed issues, he was spot on, but regarding the big picture he was totally wrong.
Oh...it's still not in tengwar, because I didn't took the characters when we did the engranving....but...I just found one that will do! I'll post the pictures lately...

As a Tolkienite I own: the book collection, including the Hobbit and Silm, the movie trilogy [6 DVD's], and The Official Card Game, that's awesome...!! :roll:

And I want to know too about the big picture!

[[ PS: I just found a used copy of Jorney of the Dunadan....buying!!!! PPS: My girlfriend had did the sign up on the forum, her nickname is ArwenTuty, but till now she was not accepted....can someone...do something? =) Thanks! ]]
As an aspiring Tolkeinite I own:
The extended movie trilogy (4 DVDs each, so 12 DVDs)
Two copies of the Hobbit
Two copies of the Silmarillion
Four copies of each book in the trilogy
The Tolkien Beastiary
and finally, a printed guide to learning very basic Quenya

Also, on the note of the actual thread subject, my birthday is on the tenth, less than a week! =D
WOW!

Hands down....you win! I own two copies of The Return of the King...but that's all!
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:36 am

Japes wrote:
TheMarsh-WiggleQuester wrote: Oh...it's still not in tengwar, because I didn't took the characters when we did the engranving....but...I just found one that will do! I'll post the pictures lately...

As a Tolkienite I own: the book collection, including the Hobbit and Silm, the movie trilogy [6 DVD's], and The Official Card Game, that's awesome...!! :roll:

And I want to know too about the big picture!

[[ PS: I just found a used copy of Jorney of the Dunadan....buying!!!! PPS: My girlfriend had did the sign up on the forum, her nickname is ArwenTuty, but till now she was not accepted....can someone...do something? =) Thanks! ]]
As an aspiring Tolkeinite I own:
Two copies of the Hobbit
The Tolkien Beastiary

Also, on the note of the actual thread subject, my birthday is on the tenth, less than a week! =D
WOW!

Hands down....you win! I own two copies of The Return of the King...but that's all!
In your defense, most of these things were obtained by my brothers and left at home when they went to college. I've also never read the whole beastiary, just looked through it several times. It's pretty sweet I might add.
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:28 am

Japes wrote:
Japes wrote: As an aspiring Tolkeinite I own:
Two copies of the Hobbit
The Tolkien Beastiary

WOW!

In your defense, most of these things were obtained by my brothers and left at home when they went to college. I've also never read the whole beastiary, just looked through it several times. It's pretty sweet I might add.
I own hard-cover 1st editions of "A Tolkien Bestiary", "The Road Goes Ever On and On" (music book), "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil" I also own a hard cover 1st edition of the Silmarillion. (I was on the waiting list when it first came out).
I own the red leather edition of the Lord of the Rings. This is only a partial listing of course :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:42 am

MayorOfLongview wrote:
Japes wrote:
TheMarsh-WiggleQuester wrote: WOW!

I own hard-cover 1st editions of "A Tolkien Bestiary", "The Road Goes Ever On and On" (music book), "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil" I also own a hard cover 1st edition of the Silmarillion. (I was on the waiting list when it first came out).
I own the red leather edition of the Lord of the Rings. This is only a partial listing of course :)
Steve
Oh, how could I forget? I also own the ever-so-crucial piece to a Tolkienite's collection, "A Halfling's Holiday in Bree"!
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:43 am

MayorOfLongview wrote:
Japes wrote:
TheMarsh-WiggleQuester wrote: WOW!

Steve
I am willing to buy the Adventures of Tom Bombadil, but since I have Roverandom too, and I never finished it, cause I found it to be a little boring [I like some kid storys, and one that came from Tolkien, so I've tought to give a shot to Roverandom, but missed the target a little bit, the characters are good and stuff, but as I said, I never finished it....].

Do you recommend "The Adventures..."? And anyone have "The Children of Hurín"?
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:19 pm

Yeah, Roverandom wasn't my favorite. I love his image of the dog walking on the path the moon made across the water. THat's the coolest ever.

I don't really like Tolkien's short stories, overall. Farmer Giles of Ham, meh. Smith of Wootton Major - a little better, but meh. Now, if you get it in connection iwth the Tolkien Reader - GO FOR IT. His essay on Fairy Stories, "Tree and Leaf" is absolutely amazing, and really contributes to your ability to read and understand Tolkien, and stories in general. It's still a major part of my philosophy on stories today.

As for the CHildren of Hurin... well.... I have lost Tales, Unfinished Tales, the Silmarillion, and the Lays of Beleriand. I've read four versions of that story already. Why do I need to buy another book that has the same things all over again?

Of course, if you haven't read all these, you might find them interesting. Personally, I think if you're going to buy any book outside of the Hobbit, LotR and the Silmarillion, it should be the Lays of Beleriand. Fragments, but amazingly beautiful. The Silmarillion in epic poem format. Amazing. The lost tales are funny, with how childish they seem compared to what they ended up as in the Silmarillion. (the role played by Sauron in the Beren and Luthien story was originally played by a giant cat. Not kidding.) Unfinished tales are very interesting, more at LotR style writing. Christopher Tolkien's commentary... BORING. I think. Or at least I thought when I last read them many years ago.

That said. If you plan on buying one: get the Lays. If you don't plan on reading the rest, maybe get the Children of Hurin, because you could see some of the development of Tolkien's stories, which is interesting.

At least that's my rambly 2 cents.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:20 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote: Yeah, Roverandom wasn't my favorite. I love his image of the dog walking on the path the moon made across the water. THat's the coolest ever.

I don't really like Tolkien's short stories, overall. Farmer Giles of Ham, meh. Smith of Wootton Major - a little better, but meh. Now, if you get it in connection iwth the Tolkien Reader - GO FOR IT. His essay on Fairy Stories, "Tree and Leaf" is absolutely amazing, and really contributes to your ability to read and understand Tolkien, and stories in general. It's still a major part of my philosophy on stories today.

As for the CHildren of Hurin... well.... I have lost Tales, Unfinished Tales, the Silmarillion, and the Lays of Beleriand. I've read four versions of that story already. Why do I need to buy another book that has the same things all over again?

Of course, if you haven't read all these, you might find them interesting. Personally, I think if you're going to buy any book outside of the Hobbit, LotR and the Silmarillion, it should be the Lays of Beleriand. Fragments, but amazingly beautiful. The Silmarillion in epic poem format. Amazing. The lost tales are funny, with how childish they seem compared to what they ended up as in the Silmarillion. (the role played by Sauron in the Beren and Luthien story was originally played by a giant cat. Not kidding.) Unfinished tales are very interesting, more at LotR style writing. Christopher Tolkien's commentary... BORING. I think. Or at least I thought when I last read them many years ago.

That said. If you plan on buying one: get the Lays. If you don't plan on reading the rest, maybe get the Children of Hurin, because you could see some of the development of Tolkien's stories, which is interesting.

At least that's my rambly 2 cents.
I've bought Roverandom first because of the imagery, that I found to be very intersting, and Tolkien [like Lewis] could really transport you to "the dark side of the moon with lots of flowers" and you would be there. Second, because of the original drawings by Tolkien himself that have on the illustrated version. And third, and I never confirmed this part, because of "time travel"...that I've read somewhere that it was somewhere in the story...never reached, or maybe I'm wrong...

About the Lays, I found my self a little confused again. When I bought the Silm, I guessed that it would be filled with poetry and stuff, that I do like very much, specially in quenya, so...I guess that I was about to buy Lays instead of Silm, and was caught with Silm...hehehe...little confusing, but that's it.

I'll check out and search for the Lays here.

And on the Hurín matter, I just have the same opinion on it! Just the same!
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:06 pm

Well, the Lays won't make a ton of sense unless you know the story behind it - it's not a completed work, just fragments of some of the stories (not surprisingly, Beren/Luthien and Turin are the most developed). So I would recommend the Sil first, and then once you kind of get what is going on in the story, then the Lays. You chose wisely, Marsh-Wiggle, don't worry.

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:07 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:Well, the Lays won't make a ton of sense unless you know the story behind it - it's not a completed work, just fragments of some of the stories (not surprisingly, Beren/Luthien and Turin are the most developed). So I would recommend the Sil first, and then once you kind of get what is going on in the story, then the Lays. You chose wisely, Marsh-Wiggle, don't worry.
I've read the Silm, and I really liked. It has the same "reading protocol " of LoTR....sometimes you are reading and there's such a number os names, and locations, and description of that locations that can drive you to a boring mood...and then, subtly, comes the action...and then again thousands of names.

But wait! The protocol states too that: one week after you finished any book, you will remember of that special part when you got thrills, and then search on youtube for a scene...then you'll see yourself putting the DVD, sitting back and watching the whole trilogy, or reading the book again.

Happens with me.
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:20 pm

For a time I was thinking of buying a box set that comes with 5 of Tolkien's Middle Earth books, edited by his son. I might still get it, but does anyone know what I'm talking about? I can't seem to remember what was in it, but I think Unfinished Tales was...

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:46 pm

OOPS!!

Happy Birthday, Freddie! ;)

And Happy Belated B-Day, Japes! Can't believe I forgot! Sorry!! Hope it was awesome!! :)

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:52 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:OOPS!!

Happy Birthday, Freddie! ;)

And Happy Belated B-Day, Japes! Can't believe I forgot! Sorry!! Hope it was awesome!! :)
Thanks! Well, most of my friends were busy, so I didn't get to do much, but you know how that goes. At least now I can get my driver's permit!

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:11 am

Heh, got it this time :P
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:45 am

FredProgGH wrote:Heh, got it this time :P
Wait, what day is your birthday exactly?

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:26 pm

Yesterday!
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]