Look, it's me!!

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Post Reply
FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 1857
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:35 am
Location: The short bus

Look, it's me!!

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:56 pm

With all the Facebook and being married and stuff I... uh.... kind of forgot about this place *lol*

How is everybody?


(Anybody??)
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

User avatar
Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 3849
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:26 am
Location: Spring City, Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Look, it's me!!

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:04 pm

Hiya Fred!

Sure has been quiet round these parts... maybe we can troll up some regulars and invite some new blood on some message boards, right folks?!

::crickets:: uhh..... lol

Hows work on TIS:2 (This time, it's not TIS:1) coming along?
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03
Image

User avatar
Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3803
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:27 pm
Location: The World of Ideas
Contact:

Re: Look, it's me!!

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:25 pm

Actually, I wonder if facebook makes this forum a little superfluous. Or forums in general. I think for many people the socializing aspect of the internet is more conveniently served on facebook. Well, I think there is still very much a place for forums for people talking about subjects that frequently change and are a regular part of their lives. Like, gaming forums, for example. Or even places like Progressive Ears which covers a whole bunch of new releases all the time. But there's less to say on the topic of one band, you know? I think forums such as this were initially really cool because they connected all sorts of people online - one of the first ways to be social with a large group of people besides the chaos of chatrooms. But I think the web is moving on with more sophisticated ways to connect with people socially, like facebook fan pages (even though that involves no discussion with fans, generally, so something is still lost in translation).

Either way, I think it's really cool that I get to see the internet evolve and grow up in front of my eyes. It's only a little younger than I am (well, at least if we mean the world wide web).
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

User avatar
Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:43 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Look, it's me!!

Post by Japes » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:53 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:Actually, I wonder if facebook makes this forum a little superfluous. Or forums in general. I think for many people the socializing aspect of the internet is more conveniently served on facebook. Well, I think there is still very much a place for forums for people talking about subjects that frequently change and are a regular part of their lives. Like, gaming forums, for example. Or even places like Progressive Ears which covers a whole bunch of new releases all the time. But there's less to say on the topic of one band, you know? I think forums such as this were initially really cool because they connected all sorts of people online - one of the first ways to be social with a large group of people besides the chaos of chatrooms. But I think the web is moving on with more sophisticated ways to connect with people socially, like facebook fan pages (even though that involves no discussion with fans, generally, so something is still lost in translation).

Either way, I think it's really cool that I get to see the internet evolve and grow up in front of my eyes. It's only a little younger than I am (well, at least if we mean the world wide web).
You should write an editorial! :)

Soooo... Speaking of internet. Anyone have a PS3? We should play some GH-sanctioned Uncharted 2 or something.
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

User avatar
shanocles
Amateur
Amateur
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: Happy Valley, South Australia

Re: Look, it's me!!

Post by shanocles » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:40 pm

hi fred, hi all!
how the married life? my wife and i will be celebrating 7 wonderful years this march, and expecting our second child in 10 or so days. its such a blessing!

anyways not on face book, don't have internet at home so can only check once in a while when at work in lunch etc.

gave three cheers a spin last week. gets better with every listen.

have a great new year all.
shano.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 1857
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:35 am
Location: The short bus

Re: Look, it's me!!

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:40 pm

Wow, 10 years, that's great! We had our one year anniversary Monday. It's been a great year! And you're about to have a child- you must be a wreck! :D That's amazing news, congrats!
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

User avatar
Physicist
Amateur
Amateur
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:53 pm
Location: Katy, Texas

Re: Look, it's me!!

Post by Physicist » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:26 am

Congrats to both Shanocles and Fred! I am expecting my second grandchild in March, so I am a little further down the road... My wife and I have been married 35 years, and our youngest of four is just about to graduate from college. It is still entertaining to take it all in, even when your kids are adults. Enjoy the ride!

Interesting thought about Facebook drawing the traffic away. Makes sense. I have resisted thus far, and I still like the idea of a forum for a single band, especially Glass Hammer, but the world may be passing me by. Nonetheless, I will still be stopping by.
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

User avatar
shanocles
Amateur
Amateur
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: Happy Valley, South Australia

Re: Look, it's me!!

Post by shanocles » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:26 pm

Physicist wrote:Congrats to both Shanocles and Fred! I am expecting my second grandchild in March, so I am a little further down the road... My wife and I have been married 35 years, and our youngest of four is just about to graduate from college. It is still entertaining to take it all in, even when your kids are adults. Enjoy the ride!

Interesting thought about Facebook drawing the traffic away. Makes sense. I have resisted thus far, and I still like the idea of a forum for a single band, especially Glass Hammer, but the world may be passing me by. Nonetheless, I will still be stopping by.
that's great to hear (the grandkiddies bit)! everyone tells you how quickly life passes by when you get married and you say, "yeah yeah" not really giving it much notice, but now i'm starting to see it. but that's good too, cos you make the time to cherish it more! baby not born yet ... prob another week or so.

User avatar
Physicist
Amateur
Amateur
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:53 pm
Location: Katy, Texas

Re: Look, it's me!!

Post by Physicist » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:45 pm

shanocles wrote:that's great to hear (the grandkiddies bit)! everyone tells you how quickly life passes by when you get married and you say, "yeah yeah" not really giving it much notice, but now i'm starting to see it. but that's good too, cos you make the time to cherish it more! baby not born yet ... prob another week or so.
Well said. And true.
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

User avatar
alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: The Temples of Syrinx

Re: Look, it's me!!

Post by alien2112 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:32 am

You're not the only one, Fred. I don't even know when or why I stopped forum-ing here . . . :?

User avatar
Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 3849
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:26 am
Location: Spring City, Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Look, it's me!!

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 pm

alien! I am *such* a loser.... I still have your signed Roger Dean poster in a box, waiting to send it to you...

Is the Dominion Dr. address still good? PM me so I can finally send that to you.


:oops:
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03
Image

Post Reply