Yes, we just got one...

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

punx
Amateur
Amateur

Yes, we just got one...

Post by punx » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:22 pm

And, I just read on FB about some work being done toward the next one already, but with 2 years until the 20th anniversary of JOTD, I pose an interesting challenge/request:

I call upon all Hammerheads :mrgreen: to answer this question:

Given a choice of how to commemorate this event, would you want to:

a) have a remastered and normalized LOL JOTD released, or

b) JOTD rerecorded with the current lineup?

I recently found my GH after many years of raising a child and losing my mind, and this morning I started off with JOTD, and found myself doing what I had been doing ever since I got it....raising the volume because somehow it was mixed lower all those years ago :lol:

A recent e-mail exchange with the Mayor's wife after I had reconnected brought up the fact our Dynamic Duo are reluctant to revisit the past (which I find ironic because they just rereleased the pre-GH stuff just last year, though I know that was a glacial response to the fact we had wanted it all this time :whatever: ), but how could you not?

Now back when I used to call SR semi-regularly in the the late 90's, I do recall a conversation with the Mayor where he said something along the lines of "one day, we'll get around to it..." when asked about the level anomaly of JOTD. So, thought a) came to mind.

Then, I also remembered how much I dug Shadowlands (and the legendary cover of Longer) and I know in the time I have been absent, they have matured and grown and become even better than they were, so thought b) came to mind. A way of combining what Lucas did to the original SW trilogy (being able to flesh out ideas that maybe they couldn't realize back then, either because of skill or pressures of time, or enhancing what was already there) and the Jackson extension and broadening he did with the LOTR trilogy post-completion.

I'd put it to a poll, but I would rather hear from our Mayor and/or He Whose Name Is My Name Too 8) on the subject before imposing our will upon them :lol:

Machine Messiah

Re: Yes, we just got one...

Post by Machine Messiah » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:33 pm

I think it would be cool if they remastered and re-released JOTD in some sort of digipak form with any additional demos, studio run-throughs, etc. If they film another live DVD they could play Song Of The Dunadan, and maybe a few of the other highlights from the album. Of course, I would be all for a re-recording of the album-I believe they are actually reworking The Inconsolable Secret right now.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:46 pm

True, we did revisit the past with "One". But it was something I had taken out of the vault and remastered years ago. I didn't touch the mixes. As for a redo of Journey, we contemplated it a time or two - but there isn't enough time in a day. We haven't actually made too much headway with the redo of IS. Its much better for us when we work on new ideas.
Remixing or rewriting albums could eat up hundreds of hours :(
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

punx
Amateur
Amateur

Post by punx » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:25 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:True, we did revisit the past with "One". But it was something I had taken out of the vault and remastered years ago. I didn't touch the mixes. As for a redo of Journey, we contemplated it a time or two - but there isn't enough time in a day. We haven't actually made too much headway with the redo of IS. Its much better for us when we work on new ideas.
Remixing or rewriting albums could eat up hundreds of hours :(
Steve
As much as that saddens me (almost as much as when you told me the chances of a second Wyzards album were nil :x ), I must accept the conclusion, but it was a somewhat fanciful journey....I mean, if Floyd/Waters can perform The Wall in it's entirety, the idea of a reworked JOTD, whether recorded or one-time performance (real surreal would be if someone could create a "video" to be played on a screen behind the band performance made from the LOTR trilogy, of course :lol: ) seemed viable as a way of celebrating the event :)

As for why you're doing IS over again, I guess maybe I should go peruse that section of the forum as to why :?:

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:10 am

I think to redo JotD would just not do it justice. It is as it is, that kind of obnoxiously low volume and everything. Throw in more organ solos or some shredding, and it just wouldn't be JotD anymore, with all of its lovableness. I'm with Steve on this one - nah. If any album should be remixed, it's tIS, although I think that one's fine how it is anyway.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:58 pm

Well, since this thread is here... no, I don't think using energy to remake JotD would be efficient at this time but bits of it could be fun :D I actually did an experiment last year that I'll share with you guys...

http://www.filedropper.com/01shadowsofthepast
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

punx
Amateur
Amateur

Post by punx » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:40 pm

FredProgGH wrote:Well, since this thread is here... no, I don't think using energy to remake JotD would be efficient at this time but bits of it could be fun :D I actually did an experiment last year that I'll share with you guys...

:shock: Now that's what I'm talking about! OK, I miss the opening monologue, but....see, listening to this just makes me want a redo with the grander skill evident as I suggested.....

But ain't to be, so I'll go weep in the corner :cry:

As for whether it would be efficient, I refer you to the 4th track on L&R :mrgreen:

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:42 pm

JOTD is one of the few albums of GH that I don't have...

Must go after it, maybe next month, and make it one of my belated own-birthday-gifts...hehe

I'm downloading the track just to have a sneek peek, but I really got curious about any bit of the redo of IS...

...can we get a sample too!?
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:44 pm

innnnntersesting.... :wink:
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:47 pm

Wow. That is pretty cool, actually. I gotta go listen to that album now.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

punx
Amateur
Amateur

Post by punx » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:28 pm

FredProgGH wrote:Well, since this thread is here... no, I don't think using energy to remake JotD would be efficient at this time but bits of it could be fun :D I actually did an experiment last year that I'll share with you guys...

sorry to be subtle, but could that mean that there is an 02, 03, 04, etc. or was that just as reference point per what track you were fiddling with?

Hey, a Schendel orchestral solo CD with what we can call The Dunadan Suite....wasn't Chronometree originally a Schendel solo project that morphed into a GH collaborative effort in the end (and one of my favorite GH albums)?

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:05 am

punx wrote:sorry to be subtle, but could that mean that there is an 02, 03, 04, etc. or was that just as reference point per what track you were fiddling with?
It just assigned that number when I ripped the file off the cd I burned of it. So that's all there is for now :)

punx
Amateur
Amateur

Post by punx » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:59 am

FredProgGH wrote:
punx wrote:sorry to be subtle, but could that mean that there is an 02, 03, 04, etc. or was that just as reference point per what track you were fiddling with?
It just assigned that number when I ripped the file off the cd I burned of it. So that's all there is for now :)
:evil:

:cry:

well, it's a start! :mrgreen: if not a Dunadan Suite as I suggested, re-runs through Domain Walls and Felix The Cat, for instance, would be able additions 8)

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:44 am

An idea we have tossed around, maybe for a 20th anniversary release, is to redo a couple songs from each of the earlier albums. It's tough to know if we'd find the time but it could be fun, especially with the current line-up.

punx
Amateur
Amateur

Post by punx » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:56 pm

FredProgGH wrote:An idea we have tossed around, maybe for a 20th anniversary release, is to redo a couple songs from each of the earlier albums. It's tough to know if we'd find the time but it could be fun, especially with the current line-up.
Consider it endorsed :mrgreen: