15%
Nov/Dec
7%

Total votes: 54

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:55 am

Thanks! =) it was a mixed bag lol a fair-to-middern?
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:21 am

Happy Birthday, Aragorn!! (And death day, 210 years later!!) Yay for the Son of Arathorn, Heir of Isildur and Elendil!!

(but technically if you want to adjust for the Hobbit Calendar, it's on Wednesday.)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:10 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:Happy Birthday, Aragorn!! (And death day, 210 years later!!) Yay for the Son of Arathorn, Heir of Isildur and Elendil!!

(but technically if you want to adjust for the Hobbit Calendar, it's on Wednesday.)
Happy birthday to the Strider, Elessar and Wingfoot!!!

And, btw, tomorrow is my girlfriend's birthday, or by the Hobbit Calendar, Aragorn's, the intersting [or not...=P] fact is that her name is Aline, the latin and contract form of Adeline, that has the same meaning in english as Arwen, noble maiden. And we have our names written in rings in elvish language, her's with Rochendil [my name, Filipe, or Philip, "horse lover"] and mine with Arwen.

Just throwing some Tolkien-fan things here..... :P
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:30 pm

And I thought I was a Tolkien fan! Coming to this forum has been very humbling in that regard. lol :D
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:28 pm

Ha! Nicely done, Marsh-WiggleQuester. In tengwar and everything? Very nice!! Five billion Geek Points to you, and your girlfriend, who is apparently awesome on SEVERAL accounts by now. She's a keeper.

Japes.... we're just crazy. That's all. Although I am years past my Tolkien prime. I think my Tolkien Prime is faithfully preserved, though, in the bedrock layers of this forum somewhere. Ha, I got in an epic argument with Flo's husband, who is also a crazy Tolkienite. Detailed issues, he was spot on, but regarding the big picture he was totally wrong.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:11 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:Ha! Nicely done, Marsh-WiggleQuester. In tengwar and everything? Very nice!! Five billion Geek Points to you, and your girlfriend, who is apparently awesome on SEVERAL accounts by now. She's a keeper.

Japes.... we're just crazy. That's all. Although I am years past my Tolkien prime. I think my Tolkien Prime is faithfully preserved, though, in the bedrock layers of this forum somewhere. Ha, I got in an epic argument with Flo's husband, who is also a crazy Tolkienite. Detailed issues, he was spot on, but regarding the big picture he was totally wrong.
And please remind me - what was the big picture?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:23 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:Ha! Nicely done, Marsh-WiggleQuester. In tengwar and everything? Very nice!! Five billion Geek Points to you, and your girlfriend, who is apparently awesome on SEVERAL accounts by now. She's a keeper.

Oh...it's still not in tengwar, because I didn't took the characters when we did the engranving....but...I just found one that will do! I'll post the pictures lately...

As a Tolkienite I own: the book collection, including the Hobbit and Silm, the movie trilogy [6 DVD's], and The Official Card Game, that's awesome...!! :roll:

And I want to know too about the big picture!

[[ PS: I just found a used copy of Jorney of the Dunadan....buying!!!! PPS: My girlfriend had did the sign up on the forum, her nickname is ArwenTuty, but till now she was not accepted....can someone...do something? =) Thanks! ]]
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:52 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:

And please remind me - what was the big picture?
Haha, well now I think we all belong in Geekland. The concrete point was something about free will. The big picture argument was about natural law. Josh was arguing that we can't assume the moral laws of our world are the same as those in the world of Lord of the Rings because Tolkien didn't specifically say so. I was saying that was as ridiculous as assuming the laws of physics wouldn't hold unless Tolkien explicitly says so. (in fact, I think it's the opposite- we assume they do hold UNTIL he tells us otherwise - thus we see the "magic" of the elves and we are ok with this, but we don't assume hobbits have the same "magic" because he has never told us they do. Although that analogy doesn't entirely hold because even if Tolkien were to say, "By the way, morality works differently here and it's ok to kill your family members" I don't think most people would really be ok with that. It would also totally destroy Tolkien's philosophy of fantasy as truly a Secondary Reality, and not just escapism! This gets into so many interesting issues about creativity, the constitution of the human mind and imagination, etc.)

Anyway, that's all I remember of the debate, which was originally something about free will. But he went wrong in the philosophy of it - Josh is still the only person I have ever met who knew more about Tolkien than I used to know, although at the time I was very reluctant to admit it! ;)

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:29 pm

Ahem...birthday on March 2nd here!!! 8)

Not just ready for Rath Dinen yet, although I've got a cold and my back's a bit sore so maybe some athelas would hit the spot!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:53 am

Dude, you should have spoken up sooner! Happy B-day! (It's OK, they missed mine for like the last three years *lol*)
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:40 am

FredProgGH wrote:Dude, you should have spoken up sooner! Happy B-day! (It's OK, they missed mine for like the last three years *lol*)
Happy b-day late! Make it birthday week...
Yep - Fred hides his birthday. I'd have to go to GHfan.net to find it!
I start with subtle hints, then just blab alot about my birthday plans to everyone I know.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:40 am

FredProgGH wrote:Dude, you should have spoken up sooner! Happy B-day! (It's OK, they missed mine for like the last three years *lol*)
I'm at the age now where I don't like to talk about it! :D

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:02 pm

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, Ted. :)

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:26 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, Ted. :)
I DON'T LIKE TO TALK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!

But thanks! :lol:

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:14 pm

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester wrote:

Oh...it's still not in tengwar, because I didn't took the characters when we did the engranving....but...I just found one that will do! I'll post the pictures lately...

As a Tolkienite I own: the book collection, including the Hobbit and Silm, the movie trilogy [6 DVD's], and The Official Card Game, that's awesome...!! :roll:

And I want to know too about the big picture!

[[ PS: I just found a used copy of Jorney of the Dunadan....buying!!!! PPS: My girlfriend had did the sign up on the forum, her nickname is ArwenTuty, but till now she was not accepted....can someone...do something? =) Thanks! ]]
As an aspiring Tolkeinite I own:
The extended movie trilogy (4 DVDs each, so 12 DVDs)
Two copies of the Hobbit
Two copies of the Silmarillion
Four copies of each book in the trilogy
The Tolkien Beastiary
and finally, a printed guide to learning very basic Quenya

Also, on the note of the actual thread subject, my birthday is on the tenth, less than a week! =D
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.